GUN What 9mm ammo do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gundam, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

My friend and I have been using nothing but Federal American Eagles for his glock. I've noticed that aside from the Wolf ammo, it seems to be the second cheapest ammo to buy in bulk at www.ammoman.com. Do American Eagles suck? Are there better alternatives for a little bit more? (Trying to stay under $120 for a case of 500) Also, which grain do you guys recommend for a 4" Springfield XD?

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

$120 for a case of 500???? You're asking about low-cost practice/plinking ammo not defense ammo, right?

For $120 you should be able to get 1000 rounds. You are paying way too much.

Winchester White Box is about all I shoot any more. You can get it in bulk 100 round packs at Walmart for $11 a box. That brings it to about $120 for 1000 rounds with tax. I used to be a fan of S&B and I would buy it 2 or 3 thousand rounds at a time but there were several bad lots and I decided to pay a little more for the Winchester and have cleaner, more reliable, American made ammo.

3. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Hey Shackle, I'm flaming you or anything, but have you heard some guys saying that the WWB has a 'sand blasting' effect on their barrels, and other possible KB's from undercharged cartridges?

Personally I still use WWB in my guns, I don't have a MP5SD which HK has sent out a warning in which not to use the WWB (but that was due to the suppressor and not the barrel). Just curious cause it showed up recently on another board and its the first I've heard of KB's and barrel destruction.
    Nimesh

4. Gundam

I always hear that Winchester White Box isn't very clean and not very accurate :dunno:

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:ugh: :ugh:

that and UMC is all I shoot and it's just fine

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Wolf is not exactly clean :rofl:

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

It isn't clean but it's way more clean than any import ammo I've shot.
    Accurate? It's plinking pistol ammo. I think it's a lot more accurate than most shooters. I can hit a human sized target at 100 yards with it from my Glock 19 so it's accurate enough for me.

8. Gundam

No shit. The only time i'll use wolf ammo is in my sks.

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

The new Winchester stuff is alot more clean than it used to be. White box has always been plenty accurate for me. Not sure what some folks expect for cheap target ammo. I clean my pistol after each range session so I really don't give a fuck about a little dirt.

Wolf = shit. I'd only use it in guns made to handle steel cased ammo (most commie guns) or it might seriously fuck up your extractor.

10. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

I used Winchester White Box too. I just got another 100 rounds at wal-mart this morning. I think they're pretty clean and very accurate. My Springfield XD 9 seems to like them. No FTF or FTE.

11. limniscate

limniscate OT Supporter

Blazer shoots cleaner than white box in my opinion. Plus, I get it for $4/box in Plano, TX.

12. Gundam

WWB ammo seem to be a mixed bag on the SA XD forum. People either get a few FTF every 100 rounds, or completely problem free. :dunno:

13. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I actually don't mind a FTF every now and then. It's free malfunction practice.

More than 1 or 2 per hundred is too many though.

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Not a flame at all...

In 9mm I think the chance of jacketed ammo causing a KB is very low. WWB is not loaded very hot but it isn't really downloaded either. People come up with all sorts of strange things to worry about. Sandblasted barrels? No idea.

Another issue that no one has raised is that if you do have an ammo related problem who are you more likely to get to listen to your issue? A Russian or Czech company or an American company? If I have a KB because of a double charge or squib I don't think Wolf is going to be as easy to deal with as Winchester. Maybe I'm wrong.

15. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Kinda off topic, but what's the URL to that XD forum? Thinking of a 4" 40 sometime in the future.

16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I'm sorry I just reread my post and I meant to say "I'm not flaming you". But anyways I agree I really haven't seen too many 9mm KBs. I've run about 2-3k rounds of WWB thru my USP Tactical 45 and I can't visually notice any damage to the Poly barrel. I'm going to continue using WWB regardless, as long as I'm putting down decent groupings with the stuff I'm not gonna complain. I haven't heard much about CS at Winchester, but I'd assume also that it'd be alot better than some random ex-commie country.

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

KB= kaboom?

Anyways, I've been using WWB for a while. Been about 1K rounds through it. Not a single failure with it. I've tried UMC, but that appears to run a little hotter than the WWB.

I prefer to use the WWB if i'm just plinking with friends. I prefer to use the bulk Speer Gold Dot 124 +P for practicing, since that is what I carry with.

18. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I don't think I'd notice the accuracy difference between any ammo in my tiny little G26. That being the case, WWB works for me. Can't beat $110/1000rds. I don't shoot it all that much anyways. I've been meaning to pick up a G19, but this whole AWB thing has kind-of taken priority of the wallet for now.

19. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

www.hs2000talk.com

20. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member