Wetsanding/Polishing headlights problem...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by DeepRun™, Apr 12, 2008.

1. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I read a few How-To's across the net and got myself some wet sanding paper (400-2000) and some Meguiar's PlasticX and 3M Plastic Polish which I had left over.

Started with the 400 grain and worked up to 1000 and noticed a significant improvement in smoothness and reduction in pitting. After trying both polishes with my PC @ the 1 setting I'm still left with slight hazing. I probably attacked it for 3 minutes with the buffer trying each one and it seems to not want to come out.

Should I give it another sand with the 1000 or continue with longer settings with the polish? I don't have any pics at the moment, but a side by side comparison shows the untouched one very clear, but pitted and the retouched one slightly hazy, but very smooth and clean.

2. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

^^ yeah you need to finish it off with 2000...400 was probably a little to low to start with as well...I started with 800 and it took forever to get them cleared up. Definitely follow up with a sealant because they tend to yellow after a while...

3. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I started at 400 because 9 years and 110k @ 80mph gave me some deep pitting. It feels like it was the right choice.

I'll try the 2000 tomorrow, thanks!

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2000 then 3000 if you are using the PC.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Wait wait wait. You are using Plastix with a PC on speed 1? If thats the case crank that fucker up to 6. When I do headlight restos I usually end with Plastix on the rotary at about 2500 RPMS. 60% of the time it works everytime.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I gotta be honest, that doesn't make any sense.:mamoru:

I did read that when using a PC the setting of 1-2 is enough.

7. Paulie Walnuts

That is a quote from the movie Anchorman.

Are you putting the sandpaper on the PC and then running it on the head lights or are you sanding by hand and then using the PC with a pad and the plastix?

8. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I know it's from Anchorman, that was his response to the statement.

Sanding by hand and polishing with the buffer. The lights themselves feel beautifully smooth and look clear when you run water over them. So obviously they need to be aggressively polished. Which I must not be doing.

9. Paulie Walnuts

Duh, sorry Im not all there today.

I have no idea your level of skill but never be afraid to turn that PC on 6 the only way you are going to hurt anything with the PC is to drop it on the object you are using it on.

10. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

I'll give it a shot. I forged ahead with the other headlight and the 2 fogs. I heeded the advice and started @ 800 instead of the 400 on the others and got OK results on the headlight and good on the fogs.

They all need to be cracked open and hit from the back tho.