wet sanding first

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dan avoN7, May 4, 2008.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I was going to detail my moms toyota land cruiser yesterday. the hood is really messed up, scratches all over it in the clear coat. After cleaning the car and claying I started off with a yellow cutting pad and opt. compound via PC. It removed all the hazing in the paint but there were still scratches.

I'm going to try wet sanding for the first time. I'm planning to get 2,000 grit, 1,500, and 1,200 paper after reading a few articles about wet sanding. With a PC, yellow cutting pad, and opt. compound is 2,000 grit paper a good last step for sanding or will I need to go finer? I wasn't sure if the PC had enough power to get the sand paper scratches out after.

hah also you guys are going to get a kick out of this. I asked her if she had recently had the car washed at a gas station. she said yes and before going in to the car touch less car wash she used the gas stations windshield cleaner sponge and scrubbed the hood to "loosen" the dirt that was on there :ugh:

2. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Okay I tried wet sanding. Picked up 1500 and 2000 grit wet sand paper. soaked the paper for 20 minutes in warm water and then went to work on a portion of the hood. 2000 didnt remove some of the scratches so I stepped up to the 1500 and that did the trick. After getting those out I went back to the 2000 and the portion of the hood I did looked amazing. I figured wow this is pretty easy so I moved on to doing half of the hood. Stopped there as I wanted to make sure I was doing it correct and could buff it nice. Once dried the hood had a bunch of scratches, the water definately fills those in while working. I was a bit worried but figured they would buff out. I spent a good 30 minutes on the hood alone with a yellow cutting pad and optimum compound and there are still fine scratches. Shouldn't opt. compound take out 2,000 grit scratches or did I not sand enough after the 1500? From a few feet the hood looks better than before but up close its pretty bad :(

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

The PC will barely get out 3000 grit. You're going to need a rotary to get 1500 out.

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

Yea I really need to invest in a rotary. The PC has worked well on my car since I always keep it in good shape and every so often I just polish it in one step then apply sealant/wax. Takes way too long to get nice results on cars in just so so condition that require a cut pad with compound or polish, another polish on a lighter pad, etc..

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Get some Meguiars #105, that is about the only compound that will get out wetsanding marks via the PC.

6. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

kinda off topic, but which rotary did you buy Scott? I know you switched over to a rotary for your main repair/polishing stages when you had previously used only a PC. I'm sorta in the same boat where the PC is the only machine I've used for the past couple years and wasn't sure which rotary to invest in. I just detail as a hobby but I want this to be my last machine investment for detailing, so something that has enough power to repair bad defects but still somewhat easy to use. When detailing I'm not careless and have a steady hand :) Just looking for suggestions, I've read alot of good things about the makita 9227c

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

8. Scottwax

I bought Paulie Walnut's PC 7428 rotary but the brushes are starting to go, so I bought a Dewalt 849. It iz a little heavy but for me, a little more weight makes it easier to control. Can't go wrong with the 7428, Dewalt, Makita or Hitachi. Never used the Metabo but I hear good things about it too.

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Makita with the old school bottom mounted controls and handle, not that wraparound BS. FTW.

Scott- We used to get them rebuilt all the time, $25-$40 most places.

10. Scottwax

There is a local guy who worked for Black and Decker, does tool repair a few days a week for local businesses and individuals. I'm going to drop the PC 7428 with him and have it fixed so I have a back-up. Same guy I had replace the cord on my Cyclo with an upgraded one (the original cord had already been replaced under warranty by Cyclo and had gone out a second time) that was a huge step above what it had.

11. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Is that the cord over your shoulder in your AV? Only way to do it... Seen quite a few rookies try to hit some lowers with a dangled cord- only to rip it out of the buffer. :nono:

Side note: Somehow I got on a catalog mailing list from Duluth Trading, they sell a belt without a buckle for ~$30, thinking about picking it up. :dunno:

12. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Huh? What does that mean? The brushes are starting to go? That sucker was a champ for me, I actually wish I kept it vs the Hitachi I have now.

13. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I always have the cord over my shoulder when doing the hood, roof, and deck lid. Nothing like a cord smacking the fenders to piss off a customer!!!

Brushes go out on rotaries all the time. My 35.00 Harbor Freight actually came with an extra set! Haven't had to use them yet but it was cool though.

14. Scottwax

Starts up real slow, and in the dark, you turn it on and you see sparks through the vents. :noes:

Great rotary though, well worth getting fixed.

15. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Shit Im sorry Scott, I feel terrible. I swear on everything sacred that it was a total champ when I sent it to you.

16. Scottwax

I got 6 months solid use out of it and once it is fixed, I will have a like-new back up for less than the cost of a new one. :)

17. //Crook

//Crook OT Supporter

hmm, go to your local auto paint store and ask them for 3M swirl remover/ compound, #06062. After I clear my parts and hit it with some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper, I can rub out the dullness with my hands using this polisher. I haven't even tried using this stuff with my pc.