MIL Westpoint Academy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by weweresoldiers, May 4, 2006.

1. weweresoldiers

weweresoldiers New Member

So I am trying to get into Westpoint and seem to meet all the preliminary requirements. Any suggestions of ways to further my chance of getting accepted?

Nobody say sleep with the admissions officer!

2. Cosmic Bandito

Cosmic Bandito OT Supporter

sleep with congressman?

3. weweresoldiers

LOl.....okay I had it coming....
    Anything else?

4. shiba

shiba Active Member

playing for a high school sports team would help.

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

My advice? Don't go to West Point. There are NO advantages to going to West Point versus going to a normal "Good" school w/ ROTC. If the school has a similar reputation as West Point in a particular academia field...then there is no benefit to West Point than exactly 1 earlier day of commissioning as compared to similar ROTC Commissions...the pay is the same...the color of your gold bar is the same...your job assignments within basic branch will be the same...what...do you want the right to call yourself a "pointer" or "ring knocker"?

Hell if you go to a regular school and ROTC you have the opportunity to also serve in the Reserves / National Guard which nets you more years of service for pay and theortetically could come out in as and O-1E over 4. That's nearly $500 more a month if I remember correctly. More real world experience and it would make you a better lieutenant...but hay...your call.

6. MrRyan

How many of the 313 General Officers in the US Army are Pointers? Nowhere as many as you'd think. Powell was ROTC as is my current commanding General.

The current commanding general of USAREUR is ROTC from College of William and Mary:

http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/CGMcKiernan.asp

Chief of Staff of the Army? University of Wyoming

http://www.army.mil/leaders/leaders/csa/index.html

CENTCOM?

Abizaid is USMA...but his deputy is a Naval Officer from the University of Tennesee.

Deputy Eucom? General Ward - Morgan St. ROTC.

7. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Both former members of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets...

United States Air Force Lt. Gen. T. Michael "Buzz" Moseley served as the Combined Forces Air Component Commander during Operation Iraqi Freedom and has been selected for promotion to Vice Chief of Staff of the United Sates Air Force

(4 star general) Gen. Hal M. Hornburg is Commander, Air Combat Command, with headquarters at Langley Air Force Base, Va

I guess someone should inform them they are not career officers :hsugh:

8. Morton

Morton New Member

What they look for is three categories:
    Scholar, Athlete, Leader

Scholar: get good grades, take AP classes, etc.

Athlete: compete in multiple sports, being a team captain helps alot.

Leader: community service, boy scouts, stuco, etc

9. Morton

Morton New Member

Its probobly just that the people who go through the process of applying to an academy are the ones that want to become career officers.

10. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Let's consider the info here. You sign up to go to West Point, at the end of school you commission as a 2nd LT. for 8 yrs, of which 4 are active and 4 are reserve (That's how it is at my school at least).

So your 8 years are just about done, and you get to thinking I went to a military college, I've been in the Army for 8 years, and the Army is treating me well for the most part.

I would assume the thought of staying in another 12 years and getting a pension is prevalent in many young officers.

Basically, that initial commitment is so big and being from West Point and steeped in Army history, most of those Cadets will indeed stay in as a 'career officer'.

11. pakman

pakman New Member

Are you sure about that? I'm somewhat certain you need 4 years active enlisted to get an O-1E. Reservists don't count, unless of course you were activated for 4 years.

12. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i actually know a lot of USAFA officers who are counting down the days till they can get out. i've never met a larger group of more bitter officers than those from the academies.

13. MrRyan

100% sure...I watched all of my lieutenant buddies serve in the Guard and get that O-1E pay while I got 0-1Nothing pay. Shit the difference was huge when you're pulling $800 paycheck and they're pulling $1100 each paycheck. Made sense to me. Reserve / NG time counts for pay but barely counts for retirement...(depending on the # of muta's you served)

14. MrRyan

What I'm telling you though...there are no more benefits to being a pointer other than you and your 250 buddies or so...get to line up in order of class rank and choose your basic branch...then you get commissioned and then all the yahoos from the other schools get their commissioning date adjusted to one day later than yours.

Ask a YG 97 West Pointer how he likes his Regular Army commission and you're likely to get socked in the mouth. The Military Acedemy doesn't even give the pointers a regular army commission anymore.

Consider this point as well: While the pointers were running around worrying about all the West Point crap they had to endure ...I was partying my ass off at a normal school with normal students and a slightly higher female to male ratio (55 to 45) while the pointers were fighting over dog scraps that invariably turn out to be butch...and for what? West Pointers have an active duty service obligation of 5yrs. 5yrs! (5/3 split not 4/4 like you said)

Know what the ADSO for ROTC Scholarship Commissionees is? 4/4! ROTC Non-scholarship? 3/5! So for all that West Point fun you had playing hide the salami and let's try not to get court martialed for oversleeping in the mornings...I had the real college experience...came out with a shorter ADSO...and my butter bar was the same color as the pointers. We both had reserve commissions and our pay were the same. I'm 9yrs down the road now...and sure I've decided to stay...know of many pointers that got out after their adso was up. Army wasn't for them...it has worked out well for me. I pin major before next time I'll say "merry christmas" to someone ...and I get to sit here with a smile on my face and think of all the wonderfull college experiences I had. I also know many pointers that would give most anything in the world to trade that luxury with me.

Food for thought.

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

My aunt went through Westpoint :bigthumb:

16. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Turbo, your point is duly noted. I'm at a military college right now and definitely not living the 'true college life'. Granted, the butterbars are the same, but you can't say that those in military colleges/academies didn't learn a hell of a lot more than their counterparts at civilian schools.

I sometimes wish I was at a party school doing the ROTC thing 2-3 times a week but in the end I'll be glad I took the hard route and I'll party it up afterwards.

I can't say for certain, but I'd imagine the experience and/or West Point background would allow you to get promoted faster or at least to better positions within the Army. I believe there are minimum time periods you must wait before goin up for promotion. Anyways, all Cadets will end up in the same place but the road taken will differ.

As far as attending a military college/academy, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

Chesty Puller went to Norwich Universitiy, therefore it is the greatest military school of all time.

18. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

404ChestyDidNotAttendNorwich.

Some folks who have:

Col. James M. Bert
    Admiral Dewey
    General Gordon Sullivan
    The founder of Alcoholics Anonymous
    General E. Harmon

19. weweresoldiers

Well as far as the admissions stuff you were talking about......GPA:4.0, go it covered, Sports team, got it covered (all district), and communtiy service (also covered). As far as Westpoint to regular colleges, there is also a certain amount of respect that comes with saying I graduated with the best of the best, something people from other universities cannot claim.

20. MrRyan

The experiences that you garner in the military schools won't get you promoted faster in the Army. The first time that you can really be considered for early promotion is your BZ look to major...and to really be eligible for that you should be a two time company commander (Line / HHC BDE or higher) with exceptional performance in that position and exceptional performance on staff. The only way to ensure that is to be an exceptional Lieutenant. In my experience the best lieutenants were most often the lieutenants that were enlisted previously.

But I digress. There is a dichotomy in the officer ranks from those that have an inordinate amount of military experience and those that don't. For this reason is why HRC has masked all Lieutenant OERs once you are promoted to captain. Your OERs as a lieutenant will not be considered after that point. Additionally DA has chosen to not "block" officers as captains anymore. I feel this is a poor choice especially since Company Command is such a critical position. Now more than ever your write up on your OER is critically dependent on how your rater and senior rater chose to word their comments. This is a new army and your promotion will never be based on what school you attended...nor will any consideration be given as such. We can sit here all day and debate the merits of a military academy commission on your future job performance...but untill you have been boots on the ground in the job your track record is still blank.

21. MrRyan

No where near true.

22. Nixstress

That's a big negative.

23. Nixstress

There is also something to be said about Aggies gathering together in all countries of the world on April 21st to commemorate Aggie Muster, a tradition that has been going on since 1922. This is truly something people at other Universities cannot begin to comprehend.

In 1942, during WWII General George Moore, class of 08 and 25 other Aggies mustered during the Japanese Siege of the island of Corregidor.

When I was in Saudi, Former Aggies gathered in Dhahran, when I was in Germany, Former Aggies gathered at Heidelberg castle and so on.

As for the 2-3 day ROTC party school atmosphere that immortal was talking about. The Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M is not a part time 2-3 day per week deal. There are other OTers that post in the barracks that can back me up on this as well.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  24. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

The academic background of West Point gives a pretty significant advantage when applying to upper level post-graduate schools. The school is ranked #2 in the nation for Civil Engineering (according to US News rankings) and is considered one of the best engineering schools overall. It also has many scholars: ranked #4 for Rhodes, #7 for Marshall, #4 for Hertz, and #3 for Truman, which in turn reflect on the caliber of students. You can have a far lower GPA coming from West Point and still get into Ivy League graduate schools as opposed to a high GPA being a requirement when coming from other schools. The education is also regarded highly in the civilian world (especially in business and management). The school's Association of Graduates practically offers a choice of work upon retirement from the military.

Militarily, West Point provides many more opportunities for development. They have slots for schools like: Airborne (100s each year), Air Assault (100s), SFAS, Sapper Leader Course, SRT, Special Forces Individual Terrorism Awareness Course, University of North Dakota Aviation Training School, Sandhurst, Leatherneck, Northern Mountain Warfare School, Mountain Warfare School, Chilean Mountain Warfare School, Small Unit Leader Training, and CDQC. There was also an instance a couple of years ago where a cadet had the opportunity to complete the HALO school. There aren't many colleges where you get the chance to fire 105mms, M1A2s, Paladins, 25mms, .50s, Mk19s, AT-4s, etc.

West Point graduates get much more leeway in determining branch and post.

There are a quite a few opportunities to get out and socialize with members of the opposite gender. NYC is an hour away. Not to mention there are frequent Broadway shows put on in the theatre. John Stewart, Toby Keith, Dave Matthews, Jay Leno, the Boston Pops, David Copperfield, and others perform there as well.

Visitors such as George Bush, Rumsfeld, Gen Powell, Gen Schoomaker, Gen Abizaid, Gen Shinseki (part-time instructor), Gen Schwarzkopf, various foreign heads of state, Hillary Clinton, Noam Chomsky, Al Franken, and many others allow for chances to meet and learn from some of today's most influential leaders. What other college puts on video teleconfrences with lieutenants in Baghdad?

Obviously it comes down to the individual, but West Point can offer a wide range of opportunities for people to get ahead.

Edit: Spelling and Grammar, was in a rush earlier

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  25. Accord

Accord New Member

:hsugh: