MIL west point letter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cossack, Nov 6, 2007.

1. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

i just got a letter from west point asking me to apply, based on my asvab scores, 82 overall, 117 gt, but my question is are these things sent out in mass to every one or are they selective about it and how hard do you think it would be to apply being here in the sand box.

2. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

I have no answers to your questions but West Point would be pretty cool.

3. MrRyan

ntrly - Having a college life experience > West Point "College" experience.

Cool part would be telling normal people you went to West Point and seeing their eyes open wide.

4. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

This is the end of the Internet.

I'm sad to say that understatement.com is closed down.
    Our hosting company manged to delete the complete databse with all the poets and all their poetry.
    Of course they had no backup.

Take care!
    Mr.P.
    Understatement.com

5. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

you just want to be required to play golf for one semester and get a grade for it.

6. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

ehh west point would be nice but basically if you join a service you can get almost any job so depends on what oyu wanna do

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

one of my soldiers in my class got one, everyone in this school has a relative high asvab score, but he was the only one to receive one....so not sure what the selection criteria is.

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

fucking ring knockers:o

9. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

How did you do in high school? I got a high asvab as well but there is no way my ass would get accepted with all the dumb shit I pulled in school.

My brother told me if you don't qualify through normal admissions you can qualify for a less strenuous 8 month preparatory school and depending on how you do there you'll get accepted.

I would definatly do west point or the preparatory school, it's very prestigious and I already have the goal of being an officer so id be a win win for me, if you are thinking of that path i would recommend you do it.

10. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

OCS > WP

Of the many WP'ers I've met and trained with here on Benning, only a few stand out as knowledgeable and grounded. Most are egotistical assholes who think they are God's gift to the Army and all ought to clear a path before them.

Pick a college of your choice, get your degree, attend OCS.

Note - for those WP'ers here, no offense intended, but that's what I've seen over the last year.

11. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

I agree to Noah, OCS > WP...but we all can't be OCS alumni ;)

12. someonenew

like I said...fucking ring knockers!:o

we got a lot of midshipman from the Naval Academy doing their pleeb tours when I was on my Sub. Most of them were a bunch of fucking retards who couldn't do much more than spit shine their shoes. Yet somehow they all managed to leave the boat with their Enlisted Dolphins:mad:

13. potam

potam que pasa?

hehe I was going to make a thread similar to this.

I got that letter a few days before I came down here to Ft Stewart and my parents really want me to apply. I got a 99/143 GT on the ASVAB and a 1520 on the SAT, but I think my shitty HS GPA (right at a 3.0) and class rank (5something/6something) and lack of extracurriculars would fuck me over and I don't really care about it that much. Oh...and after a couple of years of college I have a <1 GPA. It was about a 1.5 before this last semester but I just sorta...stopped going to class once I decided I was joining up.

Do you think I'd have any chance at being accepted or would it be a waste of time?

14. Noah

90 College Credit Hours at a min.

Your OCS Board Interview might be a bit rough, but you'd get in.

15. potam

potam que pasa?

Wait...am I reading this incorrectly or are you saying I'd need 90 hour to apply to WP?

edit: or did you think I was talking about OCS?

16. Noah

OCS is 90 Credit Hours.

If you have a GPA like you are indicating, WP might be a bit difficult.

17. someonenew

the Academies typically do not accept anyone less than 40% class ranking. If you're not in the top 10% you're really just wasting your time jumping through the hoops. The 11-40% that get in typically have a lot of other stuff going on as far as extra curriculars and such. When I was looking at AF and Navy Academy their packages said no lower than 40% to even bother applying.

18. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

every single officer i've met who went to an academy, regardless of service, wishes they could take that decision back and go to a real college.

they're proud of it, sure, but you end up with the same paycheck, the same job, and the same rank as your ROTC and OTS/OCS colleagues. college is a great opportunity to meet people from different walks of life and develop on a social scale as well as an academic one.

never appealed to me why some people would want to play military for four years and get their ass kicked before commissioning. you've got your whole career ahead of you to play that game.

most academy grads i've met also got in a lot of trouble, either legally or financially or both, when they first commissioned because of the pent up aggression, anger, and energy that they couldn't let out like normal college kids. they ended up getting huge loans and blowing it all on rediculous vacations, or worse yet partying their balls off and getting a DUI or public intox, or some other alcohol-related offense that pretty much kills a career before it starts.

of course, the education is absolutely first rate and is free, and that's nothing to sneeze at.
    anyway, my $.02

19. someonenew

I wouldn't really say it's "free"...sure you're not paying for it with cash like a normal university, but you still pay for it.

20. MrRyan

Start taking classes onsies and twosies and get a new GPA. :dunno:

21. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Isn't that the problem for most college students who aren't disciplined financially or otherwise?

How so?

22. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

yes and no. the money part, yeah that's an epidemic for new college grads, academy or otherwise. although it should be noted that ALL academy grads are authorized a $25,000 low-rate loan from USAA and from what i've seen almost all of them take it, since they figure they have no college debt, what the hell.

there's nothing wrong with actually taking the loan, the rate is so low you could invest all of it and make a buck or two, or buy a decent car at a great rate. the problem is from what i've seen is that a lot of academy grads just blow the money, either as a downpayment on a car they shouldn't try to afford (like a vette or escalade or F350 king ranch blah blah), or on extravagant vacations to europe or vegas.

as for the partying/drinking - i think going to a normal school allows you to get a lot of that out of your system before taking the oath, in a relatively safe environment (dorm parties, house parties, etc), and i know for a fact that by the time i commissioned, i knew the dos and don'ts of partying and drinking, especially re: driving. a lot of academy grads i met were in full-up freshman year, rush-the-frat party mode, which leads to a lot of public intoxes, DUIs, and other unneccessary and potentially career-killing consequences.

one other thing i noticed, is that the academy can certainly stunt social growth. i met a lot of guys from the academies that had no clue how to talk to women, never really dated a girl, had zero relationship skills, and basically ended up meeting and marrying AWFUL AWFUL HORRIBLE women simply because they were the first women to show them any attention.

23. someonenew

you realize that the requirement for attending 1 of the 4 Academies is a minimum 4 year commitment as an officer right?

24. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

west point has to suck. All these 2nd LTs here at BOLC II are on the same page education-wise as the rest of us college grads. Difference is we had fun, and they had Army fun for 4 years. They start talking about cool shit at west point and we just look at them like they are from outer space.
    Im sure its a cool experience, but i wouldnt trade it for my years of college. Yea, some of them got to do some cool shit(a couple of the guys here went to sapper school) but i got to have sex :rofl: