Went to the Suzuki dealership to talk...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

...about the Sv650S and the sales man told me to go ahead and look for a 1000 instead. I'm not going to buy from them but I wanted to get their opinion on the bike. It was already past closing time so I couldn't fire up either bikes to test them out but what do you guys think? From my understanding, insurance between the liter and 650 will be much different, the 1000 is putting 110 rwhp and is about 40 lbs heavier over it's smaller counter part. So with that said, I should go for the 650 or 1000? Seems like the 650 sounds more reasonable as it already has more then enough power for my riding and if needed I can squeeze 20 more horses out of the engine before it's too much for the crank. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

:noes:

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First bike? Go for the 650, if your under 25 probably be a decent insurance price difference.

3. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

yeah what he said. and if it is a first bike, then buy used, dirt cheap used if you can find it. if you like it, then you can do some work on it, if not, you can turn around and sell it for what you got it for, and then get an ss or new 1000 svs. either way its a win win situation.

4. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Wow really responsible salesman :ugh2:

If it's your first bike, definitely go for the 650. I have one and I love it. It's going to be a much better starter bike and it's still got enough oomph to keep you happy for years to come. Ignore that salesman he's just looking for the extra few grand.

5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

He walked me outside and was like "this is what you need" and fires up his Rc51. Badass sounding Honda.

6. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

What a douche salesman. Althought the 51 is a badass bike, it isn't what you need for a first bike.

7. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

I've got an SV1000S, it's a great bike. That said, it is heavier and has a lot more power than the SV650. If it's your first bike period, go with the 650. If you've ridden before and know what you're doing, sure, go with the 1000. The SV has a lot of torque but the engine is very smooth, it doesn't suddenly 'turn on' like the inline 4's do at a certain RPM range. It's not a difficult bike to control as long as you don't slam the throttle around...but that's true with any bike.

What is your overall motorcycle experience level?

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

He was being cool. He wanted to show off his bike and how it sounds since we were talking about some Duc's and V-twins. I've never heard a 51 and was quite impressed. Fat ass bikes though.

9. 2wheeler

2wheeler OT Supporter

Negatory on the "bad ass" part. Yes, the salesman is a douche. Stick with the 650.

10. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

Go with the 650

11. Perfect Speed

Perfect Speed OT Supporter

You're gonna need a lotta work to squeeze 20whp out of that bike.
    However... if you're a newb... I wouldn't bother to worry. The 650 will do ya fine for now.
    RC51s are nice... You can buy a VTR1000 (Superhawk) if you want a V-Twin 1000 thats not as pricey as the RC51.

If its not your first bike... I'd get a 1k... cuz a 650 twin isn't gonna be as fast as say ... a 3 year old 600 inline 4.
    I love the way vtwins sound, fucking awesome. But, like youre average 600/750 inline 4 will run with it/beat it.
    if you don't care about speed... then don't worry about it. I like speed ;)

12. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Good point, it's MUCH cheaper to buy another bike than to try and squeeze more RWHP out of an SV650. Don't buy it for that reason, buy it because it's a great bike that won't throw you into oncoming traffic the first time you get a little greedy with the throttle in a corner.

And werd on the V-Twins sounding awesome. I've got dual Yoshi TRS race cans on my SV1000S, it sounds like pure window-rattling sex.

13. toezter

toezter New Member

heres your problem, the Suzuki salesman rides a Honda :)

but the 650 will do you fine for years to come. many experienced riders ride 600 class. my gixxer 600 will last me.

why not talk to your/an insurance company before even thinking about the 650 or 1000. there was a BIG jump between the gixxer 600 and SV650s for me, guess what i ended up with ;)