GUN Went to the range yesterday...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dhs, Jan 25, 2009.

1. dhs

dhs New Member

So, yesterday and friend and I went to the gun show. It sucked. :ugh: So afterward we decided to head to the range. Neither of us are gun experts but we are both getting into them.

I have been shopping for my first gun. In my past trips to the range I have tried guns in both .40 and 9mm and after some consideration I have focused on 9mm as my choice.

During the past visits I have fired XD9, XD9 compact, Glock 19 and Glock 17. yesterday I decided to try an XDm. Overall I thought gun fired nicely. It fit well in my hand and firing was comfortable. Being such a newb I am not able to say much about the trigger or other details like that. My only problems with the gun were the slide release and mag release being a bit tough to use because I am left handed. This is something I have seen with almost everything I fire and am okay with that. Adjustments can be made.

As for my shooting my groupings were decent but in no way would I say I am good. I need more range time. One thing against me was the gun I rented was filthy. I had multiple jams and failures to feed. This through me as I was worried I was the problem and not the gun. My friend who works at the range put a few rounds through it and it did the same for him.

During my next visit I am going to get a G19 and a XDm and put a few rounds through each to try and narrow my decision.

2. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

XD9 sc is what I rock around town

3. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Left handed FTL.

4. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

my buddy and I were in the same boat about whether a 9mm or .40 cal, our one buddy has a sig 9mm its not bad (i personally don't like th trigger) but we wanted something a lil more so I went with the glock 23 .40 and he went with the xd .40. both guns are great and are similar to there counterparts in the 9mms. So which ever one you go with you won't be dissapointed imo. The xd is a lil harder to disasemmble than the glock and but plus side to the xd if you buy the package right now you get a mag holster, 2 mags and 2+ mags by filling out something with the warrenty. Both guns are great and we all three of us bought them at the local gun shows

5. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

lies

6. dhs

dhs New Member

After firing both .40 and 9mm the reason I am going to go with a 9mm is because ammo is slightly cheaper and right now I am in possession of my brother-in-laws Taurus PT99 AF (he is in the Air Force and stationed in England so the gun is here) which is a 9mm. Also, I want something my wife will be comfortable with and she is a bit more comfortable with the 9mm, but it is a slight margin.

I can keep the Taurus at home in case something happens when I am not home and if I am about I will have my gun, whichever I choose.

7. dhs

dhs New Member

Eh... It is what it is...

8. nkudahc

nkudahc New Member

them m&p has a slide release on each side and i believe the mag release can be switched around to accommodate left handers

9. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Word, check out the M&P.