GUN Went to the range yesterday....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by UsualSuspect, May 26, 2004.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

One of my friends is back from N.B.C. training with the Marines and wants to buy a pistol. He turned 21 while he was away. He wants either a Glock 31 or a H&K USP.45

Well the shop we went to yesterday had a G31 so we got a box of shells and went at it. This is a BIG gun. I have a G22 and it fits my hand like a glove. The grip on the G31 felt like it was twice as wide as my G22 :eek3: It shot great and the recoil was noticable harder than a G22. Let's just say that I will not be trading my G22 in any time soon.

My friend felt that it was too large for his hand and is now in search of a USP to shoot. I think he will end up with a compact USP or a G22.

2. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I'm honestly not thrilled with my USPc .45, and I'll be trading it for a fullsize as soon as the permit paperwork is finished for the buyer. I have both midsize and baby-glocks and can't say enough about the frame design of the Glock being key to the low recoil. Your grip is probably about 3/4" inch higher on 3rd Gen Glocks then it is on the USPc, putting the barrel more in line with your wrist which makes it easy to control flip. I did back to back comparisons to the fullsize USP, and the fullsize did not flip nearly as much due to the length. My Kimber fullsize is also more tame, however it's to be expected because it's just physically heavier.

I personally wouldn't suggest anybody buy a USPc .45 for a first pistol. You're definitely doing the right thing by trying everything out. Just make sure he shoots at least a box through the USPc .45 before he buys one. Try doubletaps at about 25 yards, and if the second one is off the paper most of the time, then forget about it. I gave it about 600rd before I called it quits, and just couldn't get the precise control I wanted, even though I liked the way it physically felt.

Just my .02 of course. Opinions may vary.

3. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Interesting post RealFastV6, my H&K Compact .45 isn't as accurate as my 1911's, but it is much more dependable so that is what I am using for concealed carry. I am going to practice more with the compact but I wonder if your grip angle thing is correct with everybody.
    Personally I am almost never bothered by pistol recoil unless it is a light weight .380 or compact 9mm. They just snap too much.

4. kimitt

kimitt Sick of throwin' pixie dust...

First of all, the G31 and the G22 are of identical dimensions differing only in the 31 being 357 Sig caliber and the 22 being a 40. Did you mean you were shooting the G21 which is the larger- framed 45?

If your friend wants a smaller-framed Glock in the 45, have him check out the G36. The G23, G32 and G19 are similar size in 40, 357 and 9 mm, respectively.

If he felt the full-sized Glock was too large, he will likely find the full-sized USP too large as well and could consider the USP compact.

:)

5. UsualSuspect

My bad.....I guess it was the 21 not 31. :o

6. UsualSuspect

Well I went to my friend's house yesterday and he showed me his new toy. Glock 37
    He shot it at the same range we went to and liked it a lot so he got it.

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

So what's the verdict? Did you try anything different yet? :)