GUN Went to the range last night

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, May 17, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Tried out some new stuff...

The Knoxx SpecOps stock is pretty meh. It takes some of the snap out of the recoil, but not to the extent I expected. Still ended up with welts on my shoulder after 10 rounds of 3" slugs, 10 rounds of 2 3/4" slugs, and 50 rounds of reduced recoil #00 buckshot.

Remington Managed Recoil #00 8 Pellet doesn't pattern for shit out of my 870. Hornady "Personal Defense" TAP patterns a lot better, too bad it has gone up about $1/box since the last time I bought it.

Put about 200 rounds through the Glock, and it was the first I've shot it since I put a Hogue Handall on it. I adjusted my grip a little and am a lot more consistent side to side, but still seem to be firing about 2-3 inches low at 7 yards. WTF? I'm getting a good sight picture, the sights seem aligned, and I'm concious of not "pushing" or anticpating recoil.

2. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

You're either anticipating the shot, or your trigger technique needs work. Bury a dummy round in your magazine somewhere and you see the gun dip as you press the trigger...

PS: Slugs and buckshot kick. No stock will eliminate the recoil, stop being a pussy. :fawk:

EDIT: Reduced recoil rounds FTMFL. Don't use them. They show reduced penetration over standard rounds. (Pistol and Shotgun rounds) Federal tactical 00 is what's in my 12 gauge.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I disagree, most reduced recoil 00 buckshot loads come in at around 20+" of penetration which is WAY more than sufficient. Speed gained on followup shots is worth the loss of the unnecessary extra penetration.

4. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

How are the follow up shots any quicker... I don't know what you're shooting... but my 870, and every other shotgun I've fired push straight back, and I can shoot just as fast with 3" magnum buck as I can with #8 target loads....

oh and 20" is not WAY MORE than sufficient. I would say is IS sufficient. I how ever will stick to my load over the reduced recoil stuff.

EDIT: With a shot gun, a "follow up shot" shouldn't be necessary. Aim more.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sometimes people don't know they're supposed to stop, people have taken slugs and keep walking with a hole in their chest (not for long but still..), more than 1 person might need shooting, you might actually miss if the person is moving. Personally the less recoil there is the faster I've chambered a new round and am on a new target. Ymmv.

Fwiw many ballistics experts like fackler say that 00 actually is a waste of energy in excess penetration and that #1 buck would actually offer more holes and still plenty of penetration at typically still over 16". I have yet to hear one of them say that more than 20" of gel penetration is necessary.