A&P Went to the Missouri Botanical Garden, C&C appreciated

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by niquesuave06, Sep 1, 2009.

1. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

These were all taken with my D90 and either 50 1.8 or 35 2.0. The 35 is actually the old 35mm f2.0 that's all metal and has the aperture ring for metering (manual focus only and won't meter on my D90, but it's now the second lens I own that works with my Nikkormat FT2 :bowdown:)

1)
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

I know #5 looks like I cranked up the saturation, but I actually desaturated it a bit :dunno:

All of these just had minor adjustments, no cropping or PP'ed blur. I :love: the bokeh on the 35mm.

2. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

focus issues? :dunno:

3. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

4. oliver

oliver New Member

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I couldn't find my glasses when going through the pics, I was hoping that it was just me :hs: almost all of the pics I took over the weekend, including the ones from camera night at the Cards/Nationals game, looked soft to me. The photos of the game are somewhat understandable because most were shot @ 200mm in less than ideal lighting, and I was on the lower deck behind home plate so I also had to deal with my camera trying to focus on the net backstop when shooting anywhere between home and halfway down the first base line...

Any shots taken with the 35mm could just be due to my rusty manual-focusing abilities as well :o but I would have expected the 50mm to focus properly...how can I determine if the problem is with the body, the lens, or the guy behind them? :hsd:

6. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

I doubt its your camera and since you are using MF, 98% certainty its your mf ability other 2% could be that your lens might not be sharp enough at the aperture you are using it at.

7. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Was only using MF on the 35mm, and I think that only 1 (maybe 2. . .)of those was taken with the 35.

I went through some camera settings and my AF settings were a bit off, I think that the camera may not have always been locking focus when shutter was half-pressed like I'd wanted (and thought the camera was set properly for).

I was locking focus and then composing the image (or at least I thought I was locking the focal point), so now I'm thinking that it was potentially a combination of the camera adjusting focus from where I thought I had it "locked", the DoF being too shallow @ chosen aperture setting for my subject or, because I was so close to the subjects and had the aperture set for shallow DoF, on some of the shots I very likely could have successfully pre-focused but then moved the camera enough when framing the shot to take the subject OOF :hs:

That being said, I'd still like to test both the 35mm and 50mm wide-open to see if they're sharp at max aperture. Any suggestions on the best way to test them? I don't know if there are any "standard" methods of testing lenses, but if nothing else I'm curious as to what a good test subject would be (ie, something that would very clearly show which areas are in focus or OOF).