GUN Went to the gunshow to get an AK-47 and ended up with an SKS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sorny, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Dunno how it happened, all I had on my mind for the last week was AK and that's all I would consider buying at the gun show. Well, after paying my TEN DOLLARS to get in I looked around, trying to get past all the fat guys... I swear 90% of the people at the show were 250lb+. You couldn't get up and down aisles. Anyways, after looking around for about an hour the best price I see is a decent looking WASR-10 for $499 but after seeing one in person they're a lot smaller than I expected, especially the wood stock. I didn't like it enough to spend $499 on it and would've got a GSG-5 I saw at another table if I wanted to spend $500.

But anyways, I walk around and see an SKS with an ATI Fiberforce (Dragunov style) stock, scope, and 30 round detachable mag, on a table it really caught my eye. It was on one of those cheapie $10 bipods for display and it just looked bad ass. At first I thought it was an AK by the way it had the plastic forearm top with the AK-looking vents in it. The receiver and barrel were brand new without all the nasty gouges and rough spots that my old SKS had, it looked like a new gun. So I got him down to $400 :eek3: and I kinda regretted paying $400 for an SKS but considering I love what the guy did to it and it was practically new I just screw it and bought it. The bipod was just for display so I didn't get it but I ordered one of the bipods that replace the bayonet and fold up so I can't wait for it to get here. My only complaint about the gun is that maybe its me but it just seems so damn heavy... I'll definitely need the bipod to get any decent shots with that scope.

Sorry, long story, dunno why I am even posting this.... Guess its just weird that I used to really not like the SKS's style, even after owning a Yugo, and I always hated the Dragunov style Fiberforce stock but when seeing it with the mag and scope it looks very bad ass IMO. And I'm just hoping that shooting-wise the SKS is as good as the AK-47 when it comes to quality and accuracy.

2. pyite

pyite Member

Go shoot it son. I like anything that goes bang.

3. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Gonna shoot the shit out of this thing. Can't wait. I only have 60 rounds of 7.62 but I am hoping to find some more today. That reminds me I was going to call my shop and see if I can get a few boxes of Wolf until I can order a case. I guess $300/case is about as cheap as I'm going to get it, right? :(

I also built a target last night with some spare lumber from my deck. Nothing fancy but a very sturdy 4ft high target with legs and a carrying handle. Need to snap a pic of it.

4. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

where the fuck are the pics?

5. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Fuck yeah I should've known better... Will try to grab some at lunch.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

With todays market that is a ok price for a converted SKS but honestly I don't think it is worth near that price. Those SKS conversion are hit or miss in terms of reliability, mostly miss. Hopefully you got lucky though. The big factor is if the mags feed reliably. I presonally would of bit the bullet and paid extra for the AK

7. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

For a WASR? Are you high?

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

well if given the choice of a wasr or a bolted on SKS I would probably go for the wasr. To be honest I'm not that framilar with the wasr, are those the ones that come with a single stack mag that you have to dremel out to run a double stack?

I bought my Norinco mak 90 ak in 93, I'm much more a AR guy. In CA the SKS is very popular and I've seen enough bad sks's to really be wary of them. If going with a sks I would leave it as stock as possible, that's the configuration they seem to work best in.

9. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Some do, but they can come in high cap config straight from Century. I bought mine single stack and dremeled it out myself and it turned out better than most Century builds without any mag wobble or anything. I also had to straighten and repin the FSB but that was an easy job. Overall it was a solid rifle and I regret selling it. :hs:

10. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

WASRs are the dremel victims with a magwell looser than hsmith's sphincter. Apart from the shitty mags, I'd take an SKS over a WASR any day.

11. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

$400 for an SKS with a shit stock? You got robbed.

12. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Ok finally got a shitty iphone pic of the SKS with the NCStar bipod I got in the mail today.

[​IMG]

13. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Also ordered 2 Tapco 20 round mags (and 250 rounds of ammo) because I read so much stuff about how they're only the only detachable ones worth a shit and the 30 round Promag on there now is horrible.

14. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i only had luck with steel 30rd mags, on my old sks.

15. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I've heard that too. I just read a ton of good reviews on the Tapco 20 rounders and that how even though its only 20 rounds they're a lot more reliable than the 30's and worth the 10 round loss. But I dunno if that was just comparing them to 30 round polymer mags or what.

16. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Tapco? NCStar? :ugh: I guess if it makes you happy :ugh2:

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

sorny, just dont kill your wife plz

18. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

LOL, i'm proud of your ability to keep an open mind.

I find it sad everytime a SKS/AK gets Tapco fucked.

[​IMG]

19. Crossett

Crossett New Member

barrel mounted bi-pod :hsugh:

20. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Wow man... Should have gone with the AK. :hs:

21. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Apparently. Ah well I like this SKS and I paid a little too much for it but it was just $400, not like I saved every day for the last year to buy a $2500 piece of shit. Now I'm gonna start looking at an AK or maybe a Remington 700 if I can find a left hand model.

22. Sorny

Sorny New Member

If I was going to kill my wife I'd done it long ago, I got 7-8 other guns I could've done it with.

23. Any shop can order you one. That said, many left handed people prefer to shoot standard right handed bolt guns. You can keep your firing grip with your left hand and operate the bolt with your right hand.

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You should buy a thousand rounds and run it through that rifle in a weekend.

I'll lay money that after that excursion, you drop most of the shit off that rifle. If people actually shot more, most of the "accessories" would never leave the shelf.

25. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Yeah I've considered this. But I've never shot a LH rifle so I thought it may just work better. I would definitely try to hold or shoot one before I spent that much on a LH when I've noticed it working pretty good RH for me as long as its not a thumbhole stock or anything :mamoru: