GUN Went to the gun store

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Feb 25, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

And got completely side tracked as to why I was there by some Chineese, Croatian and Russian SKS's. All were under 300. 7.62 (I think thats all they came in...?) The 2 Chineese models still had the bayonette right on them. I really want to pick one of them up. Any reason not to? One countries version better than the rest?

2. Poonony

Poonony New Member

And turned into a gun Hore

:naughty:

3. soccaian

soccaian New Member

too much money.... you really shouldnt pay any more than 175 for a chinese... and thats unissued

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

agreed

5. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

250 should get you a nice Russian. 175 should get you a super nice Chinese.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Assuming I can find one for cheaper than what I previously said, is it a decent buy? I know they're older guns but I love their looks. I just don't want to buy something that will end up breaking over and over again.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The 2nd one listed, unless they can prove it has 10 of the 20 required components swapped out for US made components, is illegal. The requirements for modifying C&R weapons were not covered under the AWB and still exist.

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

First one being Chinese, 2nd one is a Yugo. Different models.

11. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Would you even be able to register something like that then? What about the first one then? Seems like a semi-decent gun and its rather inexpensive for just plinkin

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Agreed. I read through this post a few more times and realized I don't want to push the limits on something like firearms. I found a nicely priced Yugo SKS thats at $185 with no bids right now. The only thing I'd want to do is get a new stock because I'm not a huge fan of the wood. I'd keep the factory parts around obviously. But this is what I'm lookin at here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=29177617

13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

You could register either if they don't need to see it :)

14. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What is cosmoline?

FYI, anyone who is interested in the SKS, theres a whole forum just for the gun that has great info on every aspect of it:

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/

15. oakie

oakie my ninja.

it's a milspec heavy duty anti-corrosion grease that firearms are slathered in when packaged for long term storage.

many of the SKS's sold today were manufactured over 25 years ago, and have never been taken out of the crate since packaged originally by their manufacturer... so they're still slathered in cosmoline and wrapped in paper for corrosion protection.

cosmoline is very much like a darker vasoline... and is an absolute pain to remove without disassembling the gun and dunking it in a hot solvent bath. and even then, you get to deal with a wood stock that has absorbed a lot of the cosmoline, resulting in a nice, greasy stock that will continue to seep the crap out as it faces temperature changes. once you think you got it cleaned, the stock starts weeping and becomes greasy overnight. :hs:

16. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Yeah I ended up reading up on cosmoline. There was a very detailed FAQ posted on the other forum that I was directed to, which I read all of. Basically it comes down to this. For the most parts, theres 3 kinds of SKS's. The regular one with the bayonet, the Yugoslovian one with the bayonet, grenade launcher and grenade sights, and the Chineese versions with detachable magazines. The ATF is VERY strict with what you can and cannot do to the guns. All of them, in stock form are proteced because they're C&R. Once you change something on them, you lose the C&R and then have to tend with Title 18. According to the ATF, you're aloud to change (modify) some parts without breaking any other rules other than not being covered under C&R. Some of these modifications would include changing the sights on it, changing the stock (but the stock HAS to be a fixed stock), a bolt on scope mount and a various few other things. Other modifications such as folding stocks and high-cap and/or detachable magazines and a few other things, you then move over to the 10 out of 20 rule. The regular SKS has 17 of the 20 parts, so its possible to do. The Chinese versions with the detachable magazines dont have enough of the parts on the list of 20 to modify, so you're kind of screwed if you have one of those and you want to legally modify it.

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

With the introduction of US made triggers/trigger assemblies it's now easier to meet the 10 parts requirements. Thing is, most people who modify SKS's have no clue about Title 18.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

One may not import or assemble a weapon of this description unless it has TEN OR LESS of the imported parts listed under Part 178.39(c).

Receivers
    Muzzle attachments
    Gas pistons
    Sears
    Forearm hand guards
    Barrels
    Bolts
    Trigger housings
    Disconnectors
    Magazine bodies
    Barrel extensions
    Bolt carriers
    Triggers
    Butt stocks
    Followers
    Mounting blocks
    Operating rods
    Hammers
    Pistol grips
    Floor plates

19. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

That is the list, but because some parts are close enough replacments for stock parts on the SKS, the ATF has said it is acceptable to replace them and you won't be breaking any laws. What I listed above is accurate. It can all be read on this page:

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

And FYI, the standard SKS only has 17 of those 20 parts on the gun. And the SKS-D and SKS-M have even less than that.