GUN Went to the 2006 US Open Trapshooting Championships *PICS*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Jul 9, 2006.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Knew there was a shoot about 15 minutes away from where I live but I didnt know it was a national championship. I drove down near Sparta, IL and saw the sign to turn. Got there and found out that the trap line was 3 1/2 miles wide with 120 traps set up.

I had no idea that this was out here :eek3:

Had some shops set up. Winchester, Remington, and Browning were there, but I didnt look around much as they only had their most expensive versions of models out there.

Walked all 3 1/2 miles and I felt like I was going to get heat stroke.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BigBadJohn

Anyone know how old you have to be to join the nra? Is it 18 or 21?

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I am not sure...but I know they have a "youth" membership. So it probably doesnt even matter.

No more pics? Of the guns? :o

4. BigBadJohn

No. All they had anyways were shotugns mainly and I saw a few rifles. There was a more expensive Remington 700 and the Winchester shop was closed by the time I got there.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Do you know if they have any rifle or pistol ranges open yet?

6. BigBadJohn

I drove by what was marked on the map as the rifle range. It was a large mound of dirt several hundred feet long and mounds of dirt at 90 angles to separate it into different parts. It looks like it was still under construction. I guess it will be opened to the public as a range after they are done with the championship? :dunno:
    Do you live in the area?

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Centralia!

8. BigBadJohn

Wow. Youre not very far from me then. I actually bring my truck to Carl's 4-wheel drive in Bartelso whenever somethings wrong with it. I think thats only 10 to 15 miles from where you live

Im only an hour or more to the southwest of you.

I hope they open it up to the public. What this area needs is a good rifle range. Im only an hour from the Chester gun club, but I usually cant make it down there.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Yup, I get around the area. Went to school in carbondale, work in murphysboro, shoot in belleville...

Here's the webpage of the place, http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/home.htm It sure sounds like they're concentrating on shotgun sports for now, but hopefully we'll get a long range rifle range.

10. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Those are some boring pics

11. BigBadJohn

Not really anything out there but shotgun traps, buildings with almost nothing in them and a couple shops with a few guns that i cant afford, and a whole bunch od nothing in between

12. BigBadJohn

Its gonne be pretty boring if they have 120 traps in use and only a couple rifle ranges.

They even have an area for action shooting :mamoru:

I think I might go down there tomorrow and see about joining the NRA. They have a recruitng office in the shop area

13. BigBadJohn

How much does that place in Belleville charge for what amount of time?
    Do they have any stupid rules?
    Whats the farthest they have their targets?

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its not a bad range, 8 lanes, all 25 yards, 3 for long guns, 5 for handguns only (not even .22 rifles or 9mm carbines...retarded). I would expect one of each could be broken at any given time. $15 an hour if you're not a member, $5 an hour if you are a member. Membership is $150 a year or free with the purchase of a gun, but their gun prices are unbelievably through the room. I'd expect $120 markup. Targets are like $.50 to $.75.

Here's their actual rules http://www.bsrgunshop.com/rangerules.htm They're overpriced on goods, the staff is moderately rude, you're expected to pick up your own brass yet they are woefully short on brooms and dustpans, and the no long guns of any sort on the pistol lanes is a dumb rule. The price to shoot isn't terrible and there are no ammo restrictions like no aluminum or steel cased, etc. Their target hangers are some redneck PVC contraption. Usually I wind up getting one that looks like its taken a good spray of birdshot and is ready to fall apart. If you break one, is $5. I'd like better, but it could be alot worse. I have yet to find many places to shoot in the area, oddly enough.

15. BigBadJohn

If youre old enough you can join the Chester gun club, its most probably close to a two hour drive from where you live, but if I remember, its alot cheaper than the belleville range.

It is an outside range, but with a metal roof over the firing line and covers some loading tables. They also have a tower to view the trap area. They have a club house, and a couple trap machines. The rifle range has 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard spots, and the treeline goes out to 125 yards, so you can always put up your own target stand out there.
    Not attended by anyone, you just go there, set up your own targets, use your own ammo, and shoot. I think there are tickets you have to buy/sell if you belong though. They are for a chance to win guns and things like that.

Last time I went there, it was in the middle of the week. It was me, my dad and my grandpa. We were there for about two hours and there were only others people there for the last 10 minutes we were there. They have shooting matches every now and then and I think you can win meat or something like that.

EDIT: Its called the Mississippi Valley Gun Club outside of Chester, IL

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubInfo.cgi?clubID=1554

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hmm an hour 45 from home, 30 minutes from work...might have to consider a trip there, thanks!

17. BigBadJohn

The gate has a lock on it, but you can always park in front of it and have a look around or contact whoever is in charge of it and ask them if they can show you around.

18. BigBadJohn

Found this on an NRA range finder:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Lenzburg - Reserve Deputy Association Willifore Memorial, , Lenzburg, IL 62255.
    Phone: 618-624-5415
    Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (250 yds), Pistol Silhouette
    Range Access: Private

This town is less than 5 minutes away from me :eek3:

Pistol range distance seems a little weird though. Maybe they mean 25 yards or 250 yards for rifle? :dunno:

Plus I can always call my uncle on the weekends and see if I can shoot at his house also.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

19. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

there are long range pistol silhouette comps, usually shot with single shot rifle calibres, or monster pistol rounds... some of the positions they shot from a kinda strange too; like lying down with feet towards the targets and pistol resting on ur calf...?

20. BigBadJohn

Just called the phone number. Gave me an address to send a letter to so that I could get info on the range. He also said since its a deputy association range, they do a criminal check on you too.