GUN Went to my school's range today.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I went to my school's indoor pistol range today. 50 ft, with about 15 lanes. It's a pretty old range under one of the school buildings, but it works well enough. They allow most pistol calibers, and .22 rifle, nothing FMJ. Range rules are a little gay though, they have to transport your firearm from the entrance to the station and back when you're done. I understand the reason, but it's still a little gay. One of the RO's also commented about me having loaded mags in the same case as the unloaded gun. He said it was against state law, which i gave him the :hsugh:face... Then I came home and looked it up... apparenly when transporting firearms in Missouri, you have the have the ammunition, "not readily available". I didn't know that, and it doesn't seem consistent with most other state laws. So, next time i'll take the mags out of the case and put in my range bag, which I forgot at home this time.The range is ran by our Law Enforcement Frat, so the memebers get priority, and get "special treatement", and get to shoot sihlloette targets, which normal people aren't supposed to. I asked one of the RO's if it'd be ok, and he'd have to ask one of the main guys who runs it. All the RO's are college guys and were pretty cool to talk to about guns, though like a typical law enforcement guy, didn't know a whole lot about guns. Surprisingly enough though, they could shoot pretty damn good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures are in reverse order of time shot this evening. first target was at 30ft, second two were 7 yds, and the centers were at 50 ft, the farthest distance.

Anyway, on to shooting. I'm still working on my grip/stance/and trigger pull. my groups are about 4" at 7-10 yds. I still need lots of practice, and probably a class. Overall it was a good night, and the first time i've been able to shoot my Sig 228 at a distance less than 25 yds. in a range environement. I shot the 10/22 between sessions of the P228 and punched out the centers of bullseye's with the reddot, that was fun.

I also asked about if i could shoot my cz52 there if I loaded softpoint ammo. And offered for them to shoot it if they want, RO's. I told him it's known for quite a muzzle blast. The two RO's and I were the only ones left at the range, so he turns the lights off and takes aim at the backstop. Mind you i've only got FMJ ammo on hand, but he wants to see how big of a dent it would make to see if it'd be ok to shoot soft point. Man, when he shot it sparks and a fireball shot at least a foot out of the end of the barrel. I was also shooting my P228 with silver bear, and even with the lights on that thing put out quite a substantial fireball. I think it's the shitty slowburning russian powder. Which contributed to a problem on the evening...

One problem i ran into was about after 50 rnds the Sig wouldn't hold the slide open after the last shot consistently, I don't know if this was due to the incredibly dirty ass ammo, or that it was short cycling. I wasn't limp wristing it, because it ejected the casing all the way, and would feed a whole mag just fine, but wouldn't get the slide far enough back to catch the mag catch on the last shot. Only failure i've ever had, and still not a serious failure. I'll attribute it to shitty ass ammo. I'll clean it, and test with different ammo next time.

comments welcome. and anyone know where i can get cheap softpoint 9mm ammo?

2. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

the burg missouri= harrisburg? i am in columbia mofo

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

the burg = Warrensburg...

Central Missouri State University

I've got friends in Columbia, supposed to have nice ranges around there

4. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

only one i go to is the free one up in Finger Lakes. sometimes its nice, other times its Gang Bangers, red neck with kids running around, mall ninja (not so bad but good for a laugh), and stupid assholes who try to teach me to shoot when they can't hit shit.

one time i was doing the weaver stance and was shooting at 25 yards doing okay. when some kids told me i needed to keep both my arms straight, i wanted to tell them to fuck off and hit something before teaching other people. but getting in fights at the range is stupid.

5. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

fwiw, in ohio you have to transport the ammo separate from the guns. I usually put guns in the trunk and ammo in the cabin. unless i'm ccw'ing, of course.

6. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

As far as the slide stop not catching... (shrug) I removed mine for a while on my glocks since sometimes it catches and sometimes it doesn't, I didn't want to rely on it... I know the difference in the feel of chambering a roudn and the slide returning empty now.