A&P Went to India...3 Pics.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Your Own Disaster, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Your Own Disaster

Your Own Disaster New Member

So I went to India for 2 weeks to work at an orphanage. I took a shitload of photos and these are 3 random ones I liked. I posted them a couple other places and basically got replies of "they are shit, you suck" and not much else. I'm kinda disappointed because I was happy with them. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All with Nikon d200 and Nikon 18-135mm.

2. NYM3

NYM3 Is this teal life or is it....fanta-sea?

I'm not even a good photographer myself...

and while "they are shit, you suck" is kinda harsh...it is true

3. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

1st is underexposed. 2nd is okay, but distorted far right. 3rd looks too saturated and a bit soft

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

number 1 could have been a good pj shot had u zoomed in on his face or cropped it better.

5. free_notes

free_notes New Member

what, specifically, about these do you like?

6. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

they are all pretty uninteresting. second one could have had potential if you focused on one girl

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I don't think the shots are horrible...i think the post processing (or lack there of in #1) is where they fail.

just work on your post processing and they'll probably look better.

and yes, if you like them that's all that matters. ;)

8. 1. a little closer and maybe a flash might have helped, he seems to be in the dark (no pun)

2. would be good as a crop, probably on the little girl in yellow... and then desaturated (b/w)

3. nothing really jumps out about the circle... i think if you would have walked towards the circle, and either photographed the back of a child, or in between, it might be a cooler perspective...

9. free_notes

free_notes New Member

this hermetic mentality will get you in trouble early in the game if you are trying to improve your photography (or any creative work). there are specific skills about composition, lighting, color, etc. that you should understand before you begin to establish your own style.

there are times when photographs are given context outside the image itself, and it is this context that gives the image power. if this is the case, and you are composing images for an audience, then this context should be provided. think of any of the hilarious pics on the main forum that are memorable. they usually have some story to go along with them.

10. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

you cant polish a turd...

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

there isn't anything about "his style" noted in my response. If by taking a lot of photos he hoped to gather some that HE liked, who gives a shit what anyone on the internet says about them...if he likes them, great, done deal, it's over, yay!

If he asked for C&C and what he could have done to improve them, that would be a different discussion...he just wanted to know what you thought of them. So if you don't like them, move on. If he still thinks they're the best of the bunch, more power to him.

You guys really need to get out of this mentality that all of photography has to be and is the same. and to turbodude...you can "polish a turd" or at least make it more interesting that it was intended...a lot of photos are done this way. shit, they even have a tutorial online about how they took a fat girl and turned her into a skinny model.

Granted, there isn't anything interesting about his photos and i'll admit that. There are things that could possibly be done to make them stand out better maybe but overall, they're not interesting. But at the end of the day, if everyone on the internet says "sucky photos" and he still stores them in his "My Favorite photos of 2008" folder, that's all that matters.

12. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

a lot of potential in those pictures. pump the colors and bump it a stop if you shot it in RAW for the 1st one. Correct the crop too. I actually like the 2nd one a lot. The colors and the little girl seperating the two. Nice capture on the girl and her expression. THe 3rd one is meh.

13. free_notes

free_notes New Member

does "What do you guys think?" mean c&c here, or does a post need to have "c&c" for someone to make a comment?

art, in my mind, is a either a communicative or internally reflexive endeavor. those pieces that artists create for their own purposes and are never meant for outside viewers have specific characteristics that no one outside the author will understand or appreciate. thus, if asked to explain these pieces, authors will either dismiss them or explain what they were thinking when they made the piece, perhaps in the form of a narrative. if i take a snapshot of my family against a house i grew up in and posted it here. everyone will tell me that it's uninteresting. and rightly so, since they have and cannot have any emotional attachment to this image. it's only for me and the personal story to go with it. if i share the story with others only then can they begin to appreciate and connect with this image. in the main forum there is a thread with someone's father in the hospital. he posted a picture of him dancing. without the story to go along with this image, or if the poster said "hey check out this pic of my dad," i would just scroll past it and forget it within 5 minutes. but, because he told the story of how his father was hurt and connected it with an image of him when he was happy and active, i remember this image and will keep it in my mind for quite a while. it may even make me think about my own father and how i am grateful he is healthy and active.

if, i am creating a communicative piece then i have to understand how humans operate. this is the reason people go to art schools, to learn about human psychology and visual (or audible) perception. understanding human perception of natural phenomena is the only way artists can communicate on a large scale. so, in photography, general rules about composition are critical if you want your art to be effective, and only when you understand these rules can you begin to bend them, establishing your style.

i have no problem with people taking pictures and enjoying them personally. in fact, if i were to post any of my photos here many of you probably wouldn't like them. but the way the majority of people views the world is constant and there are many rules about perception that have developed throughout the history of humanity.

there are three tiers of observation in the world. the first, is identification. if i see something on the street and it's easily distinguished, then i understand it and move on. the second is structure. if i can't identify something right away i move on to thinking about its components or material, or its overall composition. the third is meaning. beyond knowing what it is and what its made of, if a piece of art has meaning then it has a lasting impression on a person, or many people and influences their behavior or lives. it is interesting and extraordinary. it motivates a sense of mental movement and curiosity. this is the greatest accomplishment an artist can have and it is only through an understanding of humans that they can achieve such a feat.

or, you can be a genius and just know how to do all this without ever knowing how you're doing it. hendrix never knew how to read music. but he probably never asked anyone what they thought about his riffs.

sheesh, that was longer than i thought. sorry if i sounded harsh.