MIL Went to a Marine Recruiters Today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dodge guy, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

This guy was so full of nothing. I took a little test(dont remember the name) but i scored 37 out of 90 - i sucked at the math becuase it was timed. he told me that it was an average score and that i could basically do any job in the marines. They are getting so desprate for people to sign up that its unbelivable.

At the end he asked: from a score of 1 - 10 where do you feel you are now with the marines after we have discussed it.

i said 5 which is a slap in the face to him. Guy never asked if i had questions, never said anything about any other aspects of the military, I.E. Army, Navy, AirForce.

yes he answered some questions but he failed to hit some major points.

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

stop on by to ur local army recruiter and see what he can do for you, youll be amazed

3. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

their all in the same building

4. DaRkPhAnToM

then check out what all the services can offer you, since its that easy because they are in same location.

5. Solus Emsu

Solus Emsu ****** U N R A T E D ! ****** -----THAT'S HOW I RO

Recruiters crack me up..:rofl:

Basically let them know what you want to do and what each one can offer you.
    Some branches are better for certain occupations than others.

One thing to consider. They are going to butter it up to make it sound great, but that is thier job.

My recruiter never told me the stuff I would have to do plus my job.
    For instance, my job is Damage Control (Navy Firefighting). I never knew that for 3 months straight that I would be washing dishes, or that I would spend most of my time with a wire brush scrubbing deckdrains. But on the flip-side, I am doing my job and I am getting job experience as well as a decent pay.

So I suggest going to each one talking to all of them and letting them know what they can do for you. Then, talk to people that have served that are not recruiters.
    This forum might be a good source for this as well.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

6. Dodge guy

Dodge guy Active Member

I have talked to a few people that have served and they all feed me this its a wonderful time type thing. SO im still undecided.

7. Solus Emsu

That's understandable.
    Hell I know guys that have been in 14 years and are still undecided. :rofl:

8. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

The srvice, no matter what branch/MOS, is only what you make of it. If you go in thinking, "this is going to suck", or have the same reaction anytime anyone tells you to do something, then yeah, it will suck, pretty bad. But if you can just roll with the punches, and brush off an ass-chewing(while still getting the message of course) without getting really pussyhurt, then the things you do when you're not scrubbing will more than make up for it, and you will have the greatest time of your life.

9. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT.....

you went to talk to a marine recruiter and was surprised he didn't tell you about the army, air force, or navy?

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

he didn't at any time hold you hand really gentle-like and look deep into your eyes and whisper softly into your ears if you have any questions or concerns?

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

you took the practice asvab, got a score, was told that you can get any job you want and you're pissed because YOU KNOW you're too stupid to do any job?

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

stfu and don't join my Corps.

10. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

Why not? 37/90 he'd fit right in :rofl:

11. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

37? :hsugh:

I think it's more like a 50 that will get you into just about any MOS.

12. seven

seven New Member

[font=&quot]
    Thanks for making your corps look like a bunch of asshats. I really don't like it when people act like badasses just b/c they are more informed about a subject than others.

He has good points, most recruiters are looking out for themselves, not you. They well try and take anybody who qualifies, and tell them only things they want to hear. You need to go talk to all branches before you do anything, and then do some research (talk to people, google, OT) go back to the recruiter with all the questions and concerned you come up with, and then you can expect an answer.

Smarts are important, but if you work hard, and do your job correctly, you will be successful.
    [/font]

13. Solus Emsu

You know when I went to talk to the Marines, I told the Staff SGT. that this was something I had to think about.
    So I came back in, told him I had some more questions and that I had to think some more. So when I came in the third time he sat me down and asked me what I thought.
    I told him that this is not something I can decide in 2 weeks and that I would need time to think about it. He told me to stop wasting his time and to get out.
    I didn't have to think about it anymore at that moment.

When I went to the Navy recruiter, he took his time with me.
    6 months to be exact. However, I eventually did sign up.

This is a commitment you really have to think about because this is your life.

14. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

The Marines are looking for that.. FUCKING Marines. roger? Yup, we can be assholes. You get a flavor of that when you walk into the recruiters. They arent there to hold your hand and make you feel special. If you want that, fine. Just go elsewhere. The fact that you were turned off by the recruiter is fine, its just not for you...thats exactly what the Corps is like....what you got a taste of...so its probably good you found out and didnt like it. Cuz if he wasnt like that, and you joined...youd be hatin life. trus meh.

15. Solus Emsu

Very well put.

16. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

tango yankee

17. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

What really convinced me to join the Navy (before I started looking at jobs) is I went and hung out with the different branches recruiters at the office, not talking business just hanging out, and just got the specific branch's "feel" from how they acted in a social environment while in uniform. The more laid back most of the time, serious when you need to be attitude of the Navy just seemed to suit me the most.

18. pimp

pimp semperfidelis.com

Exactly. These little fuckmuffins come in and expect to be spoon-fed and have their hands held. Fuck you and go fuck yourself.

19. kidhero

hey dipshit, what good points did he bring up?

he went to a marine recruiter and expected to be fucking cuddled the whole way through. he wanted to know about army, navy, and air force information from a MARINE recruiter. the only information that a marine recruiter knows about the other branches is showing someone the door when they're obviously not meant to be a marine.

he did shitty on a practice asvab but 37/90 is average. when i was working a year at a recruiting substation most people get mid 30s to mid 40s on the practice asvab. which doesn't mean much since it's a condensed version but the point is THAT'S ACTUALLY AVERAGE.

you want to be a marine or you don't. the mentality and fortitude has to be there. the recruiter is gonna bend over backwards for a candidate but he isn't going to be sucking his dick to convince him for one branch or another. the kid already had trouble with dealing a marine recruiter how likely will he succeed in boot camp?

our corps is a buncha asshats? fine whatever, go fuck yourself.

20. pimp

pimp semperfidelis.com

:p :bigthumb:

21. seven

seven New Member

Damn, i hope you guys don't fire off in the feild like you fire off on posts. I was taking about you, yes you, i felt you had good points, not the poster.

I called you an asshat b/c i didn't agree with the way you presented the information to the guy. He probibily came on this forum for help, and just from what he has posted, not knowing all the details, you can't draw a conclusion that sombody is or is not fit to be a marine. Seriouly, chill out man. This isn't the place for a flame war.

also, i said you made the corps look like a bunch of asshat, never said it was. I have mad respect for the corps, too many friends in it too.

22. kidhero

um... i shoot fine. but you need to stay in school and take some more english classes. your grasp of the english language and sentence construction is horrible.

23. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

Kid, back off in this thread.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

Therein lies the problem.

If you join because you want to see what they can do for you, you're joining for all the wrong reasons.

My Marine recruiter is a no bullshit kind of guy. The first time I ever walked into his office he chewed me out because I accidentally called him the wrong rank, then he basically told me if i'm looking for a cushy job or an enlistment bonus, I need to, and I quote "get the fuck out of my office."

Anytime I walk in there he always yells at me or something, it's kind of awkward but I guess he's just trying to prepare me. I'd rather earn the title of United States Marine than get a $40,000+ enlistment bonus, guaranteed MOS, and guaranteed highspeed schools from any other branch.

25. DaRkPhAnToM

your post makes zero sense and is plain stupidity. i meant see what jobs the army can offer him compared to the marine corp, there are different jobs in the army not available in the marines. its a figure of speech.... obviously you will fit right in the marines because you couldnt comprehend that