GUN Went shooting with ChipOnShoulder *Target Pics*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jul 28, 2009.

1. After work he headed over to my place and we drove over to the local rifle range(like .5 miles from my house) to sight in his MK 12 build and so I could fireform some brass. It was hotter than hell there, just sitting at the bench shooting I was sweating like you wouldn't believe. I told him to try out my .223AI, and he turned in this group @ 100 yards. There are 5 shots here. I was like :eek3:. That's .263" CTC.

[​IMG]

Then, he was getting some inconsistent results with the Prvi 75gr Match ammo, so we ran a few through my rifle, and this is what 3 shots did. Not really great.

[​IMG]

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

post more pics of his rifle :x: :o

i'm going to slowly build my SPR clone, including the upper :bowdown: 18" barrel, FF rail, bipod, accupoint, and a crane stock

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i CANNOT wait

4. I don't have any pics of his rifle. It was pretty sweet though. Just to be clear, both of those targets were shot with my 700.

5. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Remmy 700 FTW.

6. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

That bottom target has a bigger group then what mine did at 200. :o

7. Yeah, the results I've seen with the Prvi Match ammo are a step above plinking ammo, but definitely not real match quality ammo.

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Note to self: don't buy Prvi Match.

9. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Nice group!
    I'm kinda surprised, to be honest, I've heard good stuff about the prvi match.
    Oh well, that's why I roll my own.

10. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I've heard much good stuff about Privi Partizan too... At first I thought that something was seriously wrong with my rifle, like maybe I hadn't tightened down the barrel nut correctly, or it had gotten loose or something.

Then, I realized we could test the ammo for consistency with MG's Rem 700 chambered in .223AI.

Later, I bit the bullet and bought 20 rounds of Federal match ammo from the range at $40 for a box of 20. Yeah, 100% more expensive than Mk 262 Mod 1 seconds from Black hills. Ugh. But I needed to restore confidence in my rifle and it helped.

Now I realize that my MBUS touches my scope, and this may be a further source of inconsistency. But producing sub MOA groups with factory ammo, i know that nothing's seriously fucked up, and I have lots of room to improve.

Anyone got a cheap Troy BUIS for sale? :x:

11. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

needs some pic of the rifle

12. ChipOnShoulder

[​IMG]

Top rifle's mine, pictured with my friend's Noveske SPR concept with switch block, and my fun gun.

A bipod and quality glass is a must buy. I can swing the bi-pod soon, but it's gonna be a while before I can get superior glass.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I see trijicon illness on 2nd rifle.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

What twist rate was the 75gr prvi's shot from?

15. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

counterpoint

I have had good success with Prvi Match

not as good as BH Blue Box or Mk262 but good

16. ChipOnShoulder

1/8 Douglas Blank turned by Frank White from Compass Lake. Wylde chamber.

Was thinking about asking for the super secret squirrel AMU chamber, but decided not to joke around on the phone.

17. ChipOnShoulder

What did ya shoot it out of, and what results were you getting?

I was honestly hoping that it was me, my optic, or my rifle that was fucking up, because the promise of inexpensive match grade ammo to practice with is greater than my own desire to have l33t skillz.

Firing the ammo through MG's 700, and then buying friggin over priced Federal Gold 77 gr SMKs revealed that ammo was definitely the weak link. Not gonna stop buying it though, as it's terminal ballistics are far more impressive than anything else in its price range, and its accuracy is more than enough for a fighting rifle. I'm just going to have to unpack my single stage and start rolling my own again if I want match grade ammo that isn't more than a dollar a pop. Le Sigh.

I shot a 4 shot group (lost count, lol) and my best group was 0.60 inches CTC with the Federal Gold ammo, but most my groups where i wasn't on top of my game were right at about 1" max spread.

The Privi however, was closer to 2" max spread, but there were definitely some "flyers" in there that would but it more at 4" max spread. I definitely fucked up a few times, so I lost track of what was me, and what was the ammo totally dissapointing me. It was so bad I thought my scope was losing its zero.

I still have 800 rounds of Privi 75 gr though, so i'll continue experimenting with it.

18. So far I'm up to 115 rounds on that rifle since I put it together, no break in and no cleaning at all. Chip's .263" group were rounds 93-97.

19. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Well what the hell are you doing sitting there talking to us? GET TO IT!!

20. ChipOnShoulder

There is a summer of fun to be had, lol. Cleaning up my new garage and setting up reloading in the middle of a heat wave sounds godawful. That, and my day job.

AND i still need to chrono my SMK loads from spring.

21. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

While you were coming up with that excuse I installed a new 300whisper barrel, and started working up a new load for .45acp.
    :fart:

We're waiting... :big grin:

22. ChipOnShoulder

I got a day job man. Busy messing around on facebook and occasionally working.

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yeah, I havent had great luck with the Prvi match in .308. Here is a comparison of it with the Federal Gold Medal Match.

The GMM group is 10 shots at about 3/4 of in inch. The prvi is about 1 3/4 and you can see the point of impact change as well, I was aiming at the lower target.

[​IMG]

24. seismic

seismic New Member

What range did you go to? I want to try out SSNW but I can't really justify the membership since I live up here in Bellingham and I'm only down in Bothell a couple times a month. I would like to be able to shoot pistols down there, though. :)

25. I live right near Kenmore. I've only been to SSNW once, but I didn't shoot. Their membership looks like the ripoff to end all ripoffs. SSNW's membership rates are asinine. There are plenty of other ranges that offer the same thing (except for the steel targets, which SSNW makes you buy their frangible ammo to shoot.) If you want to shoot pistol down around here, just go to Sam's in Everett. It's like $10 and you don't have to be a member.