GUN Went shooting last night - First time in years! - Suggestions on guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coottie, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So had some time to kill yesterday and I decided to rent a gun from the local shooting range. Man...that was fun but it was over way too fast. It's been like 15 years since I've fired any handgun and I was never THAT into shooting....primarily cuz I couldn't afford it.

But now I'm very interested but I don't know much about the different types of guns. I shot a Glock 17 and it was ok. Only a 10 bullet clip so I was reloading often.

Since I'm so new to guns they all look the same to me. So I thought I'd ask for some suggestions on what to try next. I'm certainly going to try out a 45 caliber but I'm not sure which manufacturer/models to try. I'm a fairly big guy 6'0" but I'm not all broly....just a few too many cheesburgers.

So any suggestions on what guns to try next??

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

You must have been shooting neutered mags, because full cap. is 17+1.

Glocks are always good starter guns. Try a 21 or 21sf if you want a fullsize .45, or go with a 1911 :cool:

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Try out everything you can get your hands on, kids can fire a .45 the reports of it being a quarter stick of dynamite are greatly exaggerated. Personally the walther p99 has become my favorite handgun but we all have different tastes.

5. Coottie

Hmm..not sure. The magazine only had 10 slots but I could only get in 9.
    I guess the 21 and 21sf are also both by Glock?
    And isn't the 1911 a full size .45??
    And is a 1911 made by only one manufacturer?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm such a noob.

6. Coottie

:rofl:
    Ok...that explains it. I always thought a magazine was related to semi-auto rifles like an M-16. I've only ever heard the bullet holder for a hand gun called a clip....but thanks for the clarification.

7. Coottie

Thanks for the suggestion...yeah I'm going to try out a lot of different guns over the coming months but I know so little that it's hard to do anything but just point and say....hmm how about that one. :ugh:

8. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

The 21 and 21sf are both glocks, both .45, both fullsize frames. The 21sf is a bit thinner than the 21 and is available with a pictainny rail. Just depends on how big your hands are, one may feel better than the other.

1911's are made by TONS of different manufacturers. There are quite a few good 1911's you can get off the shelf for under 1k. Kimber, SA, colt just to name a few. You could also drop 2500 on a custom one and be a real baller like shenaniguns :mamoru:

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

A magazine fully encloses the round, a clip holds the back portion of the round.

10. Section8

Section8 .

That last round can be a bitch to get in - especially in a neutered mag.

The 21 and 21sf are both Glocks

The 1911 is a full size .45, although there are several compact 1911s on the market. If you only want to get a handgun for recreational use a compact will be fine but there is a lot of evidence that shows a compact 1911 is not as reliable as a fullsize.

Also take into account cost. .45 ammo is a lot more expensive than 9mm.

My advice is go back to the range and try and shoot as many guns as they have, pick one you like and feels good in your hands.

Have fun and be safe.

11. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

If the gun is just going to be for plinking then why not go .22? It's cheap as hell so you can practice a ton and the gun itself is cheaper as well.

I definetly would NOT go for a compact 1911 for a practice gun, I don't think I'd even get one for CCW to be honest.

12. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Best advice you'll get. If the gun doesn't work well for YOU then it will be a waste. Don't get the gun based on someone else's opinion, get it based on what you want. We can guide you in a direction and tell you what we like, but in the end it really comes down to what exactly do you want in a pistol.

13. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

There are lots of 1911 manufacturers. Colt, Rock River, STI, Kimber, Springfield, etc. etc. I personally LOVE Kimbers, I have 2 and I plan on buying a 3rd one this winter. They make 3 versions of the 1911. fullsize 5inch, commander (4inch), officer (3inch)... I think thats how they classify them, its been a while. I have a fullsize and officer size (daily carry), my 3rd one will be in the commander size. I like variety :big grin:

I also personally love the .45 acp round, I describe shooting the .45 as a chunky round with a slow chunky recoil, whereas a 9 or even 40 are more snappy. I try and buy most of my guns in .45 or 9mm so I dont have to buy so much variety or ammo and it makes buying in bulk easier. But again thats just me.

14. Coottie

awesome thanks for the info
    I'm prolly going to go full size but I'll check the compact one out.

Yeah I keep hearing that .45 ammo is much more expensive....like almost twice as much but right now, it's one of the guns that looks really cool to me. I'm not sure if I'll like it but I'm certainly going to try them out.

Thanks for the info and I'm very safe...in fact, I'm paranoid right now because I'm so new.
    Well my thinking was to actually buy a gun eventually and I want one for self-defense and if I really get into shoot, perhaps try some tournaments and such. Since my house just got broken into, I'm think a .45 or 9mm is what I should get....but I'm open to suggestions.

I guess my thinking is the .22 won't kick like a .45 or 9mm and won't be a good gun for self defense...I'm not sure if my thinking is correct about that.
    Would you do a .22 for CCW because I'm seriously thinking about signing up for a course....assuming CCW = concealed carry weapon class.
    yeah I'm just trying to start somewhere and figured I'd ask those that know more and shoot more. But yeah....I'm definitely not going to buy anything till I feel comfortable with my choice.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  15. Coottie

right on...thansk for the info

16. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

No I wouldn't carry a .22 or rely on it for SD or HD. 9mm is fine for HD and cheap enough that you can still practice once a month without going broke. I love my G19.

A .22 is just a good start for new shooters because it's a good way to learn good habits. I'm picking up a .22 for plinking in the next few weeks so that I can get a ton of practice in for less money and get rid of the bad habits that I have.

17. Section8

Section8 .

Another thing to consider - Lots of manufacturers make .22LR conversion kits for the 1911. I'm planning on getting one shortly for mine. Great way to save money for target practice and it is as easy to switch as field stripping the weapon.

18. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

There are also conversions out for most glock frames (If not all), but the only ones that are readily available are the ones for the G20/21 from what I've seen. There is a local shop that has one for a 26, if it was for a 19 I'd pick it up :o Oh well, another reason to buy a new gun :big grin:

19. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Buy more magazines?

20. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Glock 34 for carry...seriously

21. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

dt

22. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

A 34 for carry?

23. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

.22 for plinking/target practice not HD/SD/CC
    9mm/.45 for CC/HD/SD
    .45FTW

1911s by Colt. The Original FTW. :big grin:
    But to be fair, lots of manufactuers make perfectly satisfactory 1911s. OTOH you get what you pay for.

Somebody re-post the 1911/Glock comparison to women. :mamoru:

24. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

:manonfire::cool: