A&P Went out for some Bulgarian Miak *With pics/ have questions* * Canon Crew*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FindersKeepers, Mar 13, 2008.

1. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

Tuesday I went out for some Bulgarian Miak (guess the movie I got that from).

Instead I ended up at Circuit City, bought a Canon 40D with 28-135mm Kit Lens ( :hsugh: ) 2GB CF Card (shoulda got a bigger one, :doh: ) and a USB Card Reader (didn't have one for the laptop that would read CF, just SD), and a 2 year "IDIOT PROTECTION" warranty. With 8% discount on the camera itself everything came to 1765.xx

Overall I'll happy, I don't like the lens so much... Or the limited size of the CF card (only 150 something pics with Raw+JPG)

Had some issues focusing in AF, and a little in M, but got it mostly worked out, it was a combination of my viewfinder being incorrectly set and my AF point

For example
    Before Fixing: Blurry Birdah (was focusing on his eye, it chose his wing :o )
    [​IMG]

So i tried something else, this is the 2nd one, already deleted the first, the 1st one was WAYY off so I adjusted some things and got this

[​IMG]

BUT This morning, wtf I take a picture of a tree rat (squirrlah) and when i do 1:1 on him he's all friggen blurry, this is at 1:3 crop, and sharpened the hell out of it in PS to get it at least SOMEWHAT viewable...

[​IMG]

i turned off all 9 af points and set it to center with Spot metering, manual focus... and at f/5.6 and 1/200 shutter... I captured a much better view of the birdah

[​IMG]

PS I took the typical cliche doggah/flowah pics but didn't want to post them as you guys usually rip new aperture holes for that stuff :mamoru:

QUESTIONS:

Whats a good bag to go with?

- preferably backpack type as I do like to go hiking/riding (motorcycle) and usually am kicking myself for not having a camera with me... I want to make sure this doesn't happen anymore, that and I need protection for it.

tripods
    Are manfrotto Tripods good/bad?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

100% crops dont look good most of the time. Its made worse by the small sensor of the 40D and the not-so-great glass of the 28-135 (but its better than the 17-85 IMO).

Yes Bogen is good stuff. (Bogen/Manfrotto...same thing)

3. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

Gittos are good tripods too. Some common bags are the Lowepro slingshot and tamrac adventure 7.

4. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Definitely worth checking out the tamrac bags. I think I'm about to get a Tamrac Adventure 9 ... so I can carry a laptop as well.

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I has Manfrotto. Good stuff.

6. Spurious

Spurious New Member

If you need a lot of space the Fastpack 350 is massive and gives you ample space for your camera gear (with plenty of room to expand), personal items and a padded notebook pocket for widescreen computers up to 17inches. You can also get your camera out of your bag without taking it all the way off.

I just got one and it's awesome.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

learning to correctly use AF points is key :hs:

8. aCab

aCab New Member

Did you get yours in? How do you like it?

9. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

is it gittos or gitzo i dont remember. I was on the verge of ordering it but backed out. Im going to wait and see how well the sunpak can hold up for now :hs:

But everyone is right about buying a good tripod right off the bat. With what Ive spent so far I dont mind spending the 200 for a tripod. You learn to spend freely after a couple lenses :rofl:

10. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Why all the hate for the 28-135mm IS? I still have mine for a walk around lens and its been great.

11. aCab

aCab New Member

Giottos.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

both

13. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i use lots of bags for different occasions. Pelican 1640 for home storage, 1514 for on location shoots and sports, tamrac adventure 9 when goign on outings (zoo, hiking, etc...) and then a thinktank speed belt when shooting events.

14. FindersKeepers

I like it beter than the 17-85 but not much

the 28-135 if you extend it at ALL, you can move the lens easily, it just feels cheap.

15. FindersKeepers

Bought a bag today...

Its an Quantaray Pro holster style bag, it will be for "daily carry" Going to get a backpack style as I collect lenses.
    Currently in it I have

the 40D
    Memory
    my powershot a540 P&S Cam
    strap

That is all :o