Went out for milk...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by maczter, Apr 1, 2007.

1. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

...and, after ten years of driving nothing but Miatas (four Miatas total), I decided to get something a little more useful.

Traded in my MazdaSpeed MX-5 and got a Black Mica MazdaSpeed 3 GT. :hsughr:

I didn't think it would be much quicker than my MSM, but it's actually the first car I've owned that is borderline scary fast. If I'm cruising at 65 and my foot twitches when I sneeze, I'm going 80+ before my passenger says "Gesundheit!" I won't be going anywhere in this thing without Val. That's for sure.

First thing on the list is to tint the beast. I told myself I'd never buy another black car, but it just looks too good in black. Have to tint it before it starts getting hot out.

No pics yet. My wife went out of town and took the camera with her.

It's bone stock so far, so just pretend this one's mine...:p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. P7

P7 You have something on your tongue, let me get that

:hsugh:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'd have kept the Miata and bought a used Honda Accord or something. Nice car, though.

Nobody goes out for milk and buys a car.

4. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Excellent cars. Definitely near the top of my list if I were to buy a car right now. It's just quick, not really SCARY fast, though...How's the overall handling compared to your miatas? RWD >>> FWD and the miata's steering response >>> *, but I hear the MS3's handle very nicely.

5. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

Welcome to the 3 family!

Just don't go overboard with the versatility of the hatch. It can't carry loads of cement.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ah, but it CAN carry BAGS of cement...

7. ///M

///M New Member

:coold: nice car

8. maczter

I did say *borderline* scary fast and not just plain scary fast. :)

No Honda Accords for me. My Mom has one, my brother who's studying to be a preacher has one. Everyone and their mother has one. They do nothing for me. :p

The only reason I even entertained the idea of the MS3 in the first place was because, while stock, it still handles respectably and is actually faster than any of my Miatas ever were. Nothing from Honda that is anywhere near the MS3's price range does those two things for me.

I agree that RWD > FWD. It's an adjustment for sure. I find I prefer to turn the DSC off every time I get in the car unless it's raining or I'm on a steep incline. Torque steer is fun. :eek4d:

It handles well from what I've seen so far. Went on a club drive the first weekend I had it on some nice twisties and had no problem keeping up with the current gen Miata guys in the corners, so mission accomplished. Can't hang the rear out on corners like my '93 Miata, but then I really had to work to break the tires loose on the '01 (suspension package) and '04 MSM too because they stuck so well. Really had to be pushing it and by the time you pushed those two far enough to break loose, you didn't want to be breaking loose any more. :) The '93 was the most tossable of the four Miatas I had. They got progressively less fun to play with as the handling was improved with each generation. The MS3 is by no means tossable from what I've seen (or expect to see) so far, but it is definitely a fun car and I like that I can finally go on fun drives with more than one person without having to leave the fun car behind. :) Driving to Cooper's BBQ in LLano when my parents come to visit next time will be ten times more fun in the MS3 than it ever was in my dad's soft-handling and anemic Honda Accord.

Haven't carried any bags of concrete in it, but I'm sure it'll make plenty of trips down the street for bark mulch this spring once I get the cargo tray for it to keep from getting my trunk all jacked up.

....and I've been putting off getting my mower serviced for two years now because we no longer had a car it would fit in. I can do that now. And I can haul off a bunch of crap I've ben wanting to donate but couldn't fit in either of our cars.

I never thought I'd be able to drive anything other than convertibles after having Miatas for so long, but having a car that's faster, handles nearly as well (certainly better than most four door cars) as the Miatas did AND holds four passengers and lots of crap AND is a bit more stealth AND can be driven through an automatic car wash if needed without worrying about water spraying in the car....you get the picture. :)

I know it's not for everyone, but I'm thrilled with it!

9. maczter

...and as far as going out to buy milk...I did actually go out to test drive a car to get a $25 gift card from Mazda since my wife and I had nothing planned one Friday night and they were offering...and then I ended up trading for the MS3 the following Tuesday.

I think that's probably worse. Instead of going to buy milk and buying a car, I was going to get free money and ended up buying a car. :o

10. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The Si does, but whether it will hang with a MS3 is a slightly different question, heh.

Well done, I like. My Integra sedan is filling the role of fun practical car well, wish it was a GS-R but whatev. I really need to get a 1.6L Miata, I miss my '99...

11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

And the other day I went out cause I needed to buy a car and came back 3 hours later with a gallon of milk. Figure that one out.

12. ///M

///M New Member

:rofl:

13. maczter

As long as it wasn't that skim milk crap. :)

14. maczter

Possibly, though one of my reasons for going from the Miata to a four seater was so I could carry (adult) passengers comfortably, so the Civic Si wasn't an option either as I hate climbing in and out of the back seat of two-door cars, so I wouldn't ask my friends to do the same.

Basically, for me, I found the only long drives I was taking any more these days were drives where I ended up having to take my wife's car or where multiple people had to drive when we could have all gone in one car if I'd had room for more people, so the MS3 is my big Miata (minus the RWD and convertible top). It's faster and still handles really well for the driving I do and I can now take four friends instead of only one.

I'm sure I'll miss the Miata on occasion (like when they have Miata only track events at Motorsport Ranch or whatever), but so far I'm still diggin' the MS3. :)

15. ///M

///M New Member

they do make a 4 door si now, but i agree, for the same price, if you can have a car with more power and more room, why not

unless you're planning to sell it in a few years rather than keep it for a while. mazdas have shitty resale, in general

16. maczter

Meh. I never really consider resale value when purchasing cars.

I buy cars for my enjoyment. Investments are best made elsewhere. :)