GUN Went out for milk or something

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RRTX, Jun 17, 2007.

1. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Came back with a Gemtech G5 :wiggle: Well the receipt for one anyway, hopefully will get the forms from the dealer Monday and have them mailed out by the end of the week.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

:coold: Nice!

Seems like everyone here is buying a bunch of fun toys. I'm saving my money for a while :greddy:

3. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Are you gonna go the trust route or do you live in a part od DFW where someone will sign you off?

I was just curious.

4. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Both my local chief and the Tarrant county sheriff will sign so no problem with the individual. I was planning on doing my next one as a trust, but it is on my other hard drive that I need to recover to the new one so this one will go individual. My last Form 4 took 19 days mailbox to mailbox as an individual.

Are you in DFW? I need someone else with some NFA goodies to shoot with occasionally :cool:

5. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Good deal.

Yeah Im in the DFW area. I have an M60 as my only NFA item. But working on more.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

M60 trumps the cans lol :noes:

7. t1h

t1h Guest

pics?

one day i'll own an MP40 :hs:

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I just got a truck, so there goes my fun money for a while :hs:

9. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

did you hear the news about the new Gemtech G5 (of which they claim to be welded)? You should read this 80+ page thread about them

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10473

oh and just a rough overview: Gemtech G5 pics on top, AAC M4-2000 on bottom

Gemtech G5 disassembled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advanced Armament Core:
    [​IMG]

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Those welds are beautiful.

11. 993kgt

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  12. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

yeah dude get an aac instead. I talked to rjsilvers and he reccomends an aac evo for me which I'm going to get.

13. 993kgt

might be too late for this guy :)

I should pickup my evo9mm next week

14. thomor25

did you trust it? I'm thinking I might go the trust route.

15. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I had a long reply typed up about that thread but firefox decided to lock up when I tried to look at the .pdf about the Blackbox on AAC's site :rant:

Basically, I'm not going to let one test from a very biased source ruin my opinion of a company that has had a good reputation for a long time. I did lose a little respect for AAC when I saw some of the publicly posted comments about Gemtech by both rsilvers and Kevin. This entire ordeal will not affect my decision to buy from either company in the future.

As a matter of fact I am interested in some of AAC's .45 cans, you have any opinion of the Evolution over the Eclipse? From their specs it seems like the Eclipse is quieter than the EVO but weighs and costs less.

16. 993kgt

just curious, but how can you desire a product that a.) the military rejected b.) failed in a test and c.) does not match what the manufacturer specifies in marketing material as its design/construction

I know AAC is bias, but, they also left Gemtech to form their own company...so that speaks volumes of Gemtech in my opinion.....plus, look at the pictures!

17. thomor25

well no offense as I would agree with you in some parts but in the early days some people did the same in the os world, remember ms and apple? but then again it speaks volumes about microsoft too lol:rofl:

18. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Like I said, failing one test that was put on by a biased source isn't going to change my mind. It is entirely possible that they got a bad unit, shit happens. I spent eight years in the Army, you can't convince me that just because we rejected it that it is crap. There is plenty of equipment that is accepted due to political favors or cost that is definitely not the best choice. (Not saying that is the case here, but it is all too often)

His video "proof" wasn't all that great either:
    Round 1: Shoot off 8 mags, cool down
    End cap unscrewing, "repaired" (repair not explained)
    Round 2: Wow this thing is junk but we don't need to show any video
    Round 3: Same as round 2
    Round 4: Second failure after no proof of what went on between round 1 and now.
    To me this is not a very scientific or fair test, if you are going to offer it up as proof positive that another company makes junk you need to show full documentation. The only proof we have that AAC's cans passed this same identical test is word of mouth from the person conducting this test. With all the G5's that are out there I'm sure we would have heard of at least one other failure if they were pure junk. I have heard lots of good reviews of this can and exactly one bad now, not enough to change my mind.

19. thomor25

I agree with that, there was a report about armor for the soilders in iraq and that the military turned down dragon skin and said that their armor does better when the designer of the current armor said dragon skin was better.

Did gemtech respond at all Im not gonna read 80 pages of flame fest cause I'm on about page 15. Was there a possibility that that one didn't get welded or skipped something in the build process?

20. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

CENTCOM disallows the use of Dragon Skin in theatre because the manufacturer can't supply the ceramic disks in enough volume to cover the estimated rate of consumption, unfortunately. That's the main issue from what I understand.

Furthermore, when it comes to IEDs the current armor is sufficient to protect the areas of the body that it covers from the blast.