A&P Went out for a Digital Rebel, came home with a 20D

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by StealthMode, Feb 8, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Not what I was expecting to do, but considering where my career path is leading me, it was a good investment. I traded in my film Rebel Ti for $200 (the one that crapped out on me last week) and my accessories since they wouldn't work with the 20D. I got it in a kit with a Tamron XR Di 28-300mm lens, backpack, 1gb HS flash card that I got for $199 instead of $350 like its listed, and a skylight filter for $5. Grand total was about $2k. :hsd:

Overall I am beyond impressed. My next purchase is going to be a 17mm/2.8 or something along those lines, and a remote flash, but that might be awhile..

How do you guys like yours? I'm kind of :eek4: at all the settings, but I'm getten there. Wanted to go out and take some pics today, but sure enough, I got bogged down with work, so maybe tonight, or tomorrow. :x:
    Do you guys have any good accesseries that you recomend?

2. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

canon 24-70L? :)

3. raptor_talon

raptor_talon Who is the master? Sho'nuff!

:nono: the IS only comes with the f/2.8

4. raptor_talon

whatever you do, if you're happy with your pictures, do not read threads on forums about banding or line noise.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

nice kill! i'd like to know where you got all that for that price too. and you'll love that lens! my only recommendation is be very careful when bringing the zoom back in so it doesn't slam into the front part of the lens. we've got a nice ring around ours and it looks like crap.

6. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

another reason i want to hold off...but the IS adds a lot of weight and that IS a concern to me (I travel a lot...baggage allowances are tight now and I almost didn't get onto flights when I was in Europe but some pocket grease and my cute smile fixed that up real quick)

7. mojito

mojito New Member

you can get 1gb high speed cards for less than a hundred. I've got 2 1gb 80x Lexars for 80 each and the sandisk ulta II are just a little more.

I would have got the Tamron 28-75 XR Di and then got a 70-200 later. A 28-300 is just too big of a range to get good optics all the way through.

8. raptor_talon

but based on the limited time I've had so far with my 70-200 F/4 L - it's a good lens even without the IS.

9. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

You paid too much for your CF card.

10. sony

sony Active Member

:werd: You can get them for 80-100. :hsugh:

11. mojito

mojito New Member

although $200 for a broken film body probably equaled the over charge of the CF card. That camera barely sold for that much new

12. StealthMode

Essentially, I basically got the card free, so no biggy.

The lens came with the kit, basically a great all around lens, especially for on the road and taking outdoor shots, beings it's so light.
    Personally, I would rather have the canon 70-300mm w/IS, my god father has that model, and he let me play with it last week :coold: Also a separate wide angle lens, but this is ok for now. Next lens will be a f2.8 or lower wide angle lens...too bad they are so dam expensive :wtc: Any recomendations for a decent wide angle with at least f2.8?

I got the camera at a local camera shop, the owner is actually my god fathers old boss. I love going there, just to go in and talk to the guys there and look at all the new gadgets and what not. :)

13. StealthMode

I haven't noticed any of that myself, :dunno:

14. StealthMode

Any suggestions on a good external flash, with remote abilty possibly?

15. mojito

mojito New Member

For a flash, the Canon 420ex, 550ex or 580ex depending on what you want to do with it

For a wide angle, the Canon 17-40 F/4 is hard to beat. To get to a F/2.8 zoom, you'd have to spring for the 16-35 L, which is about as much as what you spent today. You could look into a Sigma 20mm possibly.

The 70-300 IS is not a very good lens. I've had a Sigma 70-300 and a Canon 70-300 IS, and hated both. The 70-200s are so much better. As are the 300 and 400mm primes.

The 200mm F/2.8L is a sleeper lens. Only about 600 for a L series lens, that is highly capable of quality pics, though a little ong on a 1.6x body for typical aplications

16. StealthMode

How does Sigma compare to Canon and Tamron as far as image quality?

17. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

man I want to upgrade so freakin bad but I'm saving for a house and need to keep the CC bills down low :-/

Post up some pics with the 20D when you get a chance.

18. StealthMode

Well I picked up the 580EX today, as well as a tamron polarizer for my 28-300mm lens. :coold:

I have a couple shots downloaded right now, but my skills don't do the camera any justice just yet :p So I don't want to post those :noes: I am hoping to get a couple hours behind the lens this weekend for sure, so I will have some shots later on this week to post. Right now I am just too bogged down with work to really be able to play with it a whole lot. :( But maybe tonight :x:

19. raptor_talon

post it anyway!!! I wanna see.

20. dmora

dmora Guest

:werd:
    See if you can take back the CF card and the lens for a better short range/walk around lens.

CF cards you can get for CHEEP online.

21. StealthMode

Fine :p
    Here are a couple.. Just experimenting last night. Don't judge, I am still trying to figure this thing out... :noes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i'd pick my lenses in this order:
    Tamron
    Sigma
    Canon

23. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

Definately stay away from the dpreview.com forums for the first few months with your new camera.

On the pictures posted try adjusting the white balance, it looked like you were shooting on the auto setting and would look much better if you changed to the flourescent setting.

good job on the impluse buying, i do it all the time at b&h online. :bigthumb:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  24. mojito

mojito New Member

not florecent lighting, tungsten. I would shoot in RAW format and use PS CS Camera RAW to adjust that all later. If you shot that as a jpeg with the wrong white balance there are a few ways to fix it. From those you posted, you could simply add a 80a cooling filter and the color balance would become neutral.

The photo filters are in PS CS under image - adjustments

25. mojito

mojito New Member

:ugh2:

It all depends on the individual lenses. Each company has good and bad lenses.