GUN Went out for a case of Milk...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Jan 20, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

Been thinking lately of getting a striker fired poly in .45. I initially had my sights set on getting the M&P .45, but have been holding out for almost a year now on when they release their full size. I'm growing impatient and that XD Tactical's been "giving me the eye".

I have a service .357 sig and have handled and shot many other XD's. Last week the guys take me out for my birthday after the match and we get to talking. Well you know what happens when a bunch of gun sluts get toegether.

One of my shooting buddies that just picked up his completed Open class 2011 from JPL Precision that day is on a good one and offers me his XD Tactical for a song and a note.

I got to break my first shot with her in an IDPA (yeah, not smart taking un tested gun to a match) but I know the owner very well and he's maticulous with his guns, which is the only way I'd buy used.

He's the original owner (also buys all his guns new) and came straight from the hands of Rich from Canyon Creek Customs with a competition trigger set up to break at 4#'s (best believe it's coming down to 1.5-2lbs) It's also got Dawson Fiber optic front sight installed by Canyon Creek. A Magwell and extended mag release. Also comes with 6 magazines and Arrendondo Mag extenders. All for $450 :)

Anyhow, not bad for first time taking her out. I placed 8th overall in a strong field of CDP shooters out of 23 shooters. She handles great, recoils great but the trigger's a dream and is unbelievable for a poly. Points like a 1911 and only had one hang up all day which wasn't bad.

I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner. She's going to make a solid back up CDP and L10 gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

XD FTMFL

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You must of missed the memo the XD is finished, the M&P is the latest thing to sacride.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

I thought you were going to use your wesson for L10... or is that going to be for SS?

7. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

XD might be the ugliest gun ever made

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

I am, like I said on the end of the post, it's for my back up CDP and L10.

9. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

I'll take an ugly ass weapon that shoots straight every time over something that's built to look super cool.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'm a sucker for a nice looking and well fitted 1911's, and most everything else to me is ugly when it comes to pistols. If aesthetics played a bigger part in my gun buying decision I would have never owned any Glocks, or any plastic guns. I also find M&P's equally as ugly as the XD. All things being equal I own and run what works. That way I can actually have some educated reason why I don't like something, not simply because it "looks ugly". I'll probably by an M&P next so I can have a better rounded experience.

I run what works, and judging by the performance this past Saturday for IDPA, I'm very happy with it and I'm going to buck the trend and say it's a worthy pistol. :noes:

lol, it's all good. I'm not trendy enough for OT sometimes.

11. s0ber

s0ber New Member

I love my XD... better than my glock.. IBclusterfuck

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

If I had more $$ I'd have one of each(XD, M&P, FNP, etc.) just to see how they stack up.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

bingo, bango. I got to grope a FNP the other day and I'm fairly impressed. Trigger was horrid though, but I imagine it'll be better after some rounds and not too bad for a $450 gun new and was damm tempting and it felt akward turning down papers, but 3 guns in the past few months isn't sitting well with my little lady and I'm still thinking of picking up an AK. I am also trying not to like the new Ruger SR9, but dam looks pretty nice as well.

I'd like to add the following this year:

FNP .45
    Ruger SR9
    and of course an M&P.

I might be able to pick one up for dirt this year if they offer any guns to the SO's for our state match. My buddy picked up a XD last year for $215 brand new because we were sponsored by Springfield.

Fuck being locked to just one crew, I'm just "gun crew". :mamoru::fawk:

15. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

. I couldn't find hardly any FNP's at the show this past weekend, when I did they were overpriced, and no .45s. :greddy:

16. Initial E

Initial E New Member

in a year the M&P will a thing of the past aswell

:wavey: XD crew

17. dank

dank fuck yeah

m&p = terrible

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

A good design is ageless. Look at the Glock 17, 1911, Browning HP, CZ75...

Again, I'm not trendy, I subscribe to function and what works, not what everyone else has. And I stop reading reviews after "my friends has..." or " I picked one up at a store once..." " this one time in band camp..." lol

Tell me that you've actually vested in it, or owned one or have shot it for a given amount of time and that you have also shot XXX for a number of time for longer than a few range visits and your review may hold some merit. Not drive by reviews " I read on the internet once..." or, "my friend has one and I couldn't hit anything worth a crap..." kind of "knowledge". lol

I wonder " do these people realize how long it takes to learn a gun???? " Even the best shooters around need more than a few rounds to calibrate themselves to a particular design to see it's potential.

Besides, I put it through it's paces last weekend and regardless of how ugly it looks, I can't deny how well it performed.

But I'll reserve my final judgement until I've put at least 5k rounds through her, and have competed with her for a year or two. Then I can feel confident in my analysys. Until then, it's in "development/test", but so far so good.

Guns are not trendy like clothing or cars!!! :nono: :bigthumb:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

did you have a custom trigger? Because I've shot an XD for more than a single range visit and the stock XD trigger is about as wrong as they come.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

I own two XD's now, a .357 sig that I still have not warmed up to but was purchased for my nightstand that I purchased when the XD's first came out, and my current tactical .45. And yes, it does have a Canyon Creek trigger. But that's part of learning a gun and learning what makes it "tick" and what you need to do to "extract it's potential". It addressed the shortcomings of the stock XD trigger by reducing overtravel, making the reset more "crisp" and giving a more definitive break.

Ask the guys with M&P's what they thought of their new stock triggers and they'd be lieing if they told you they liked them as they came OOB.

Again, I'm reserving my final view on it, and maybe I'll be like "hate it.." or maybe I'll end up liking it, but I'm going to reserve that until I have more than a few rounds through the tube and my quest for a "better mouse trap" will never end, it's what keeps me going.