MMA went for a run with a runner

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Sep 11, 2007.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

A freind of mine is a marathon runner and we were talking about conditioning today and anaerobic vs aerobic. So he said lets go on the tread mill and see who can last longer in a distance run. I said fine out of curiosity and because I hadnt conditioned yet. So we got on some treadmills at the gym and then started running. Usually I dont distance run I do sport specific drills and sprints for conditioning. I was amazed at the conditioning the marathon runners have I knew they had some awesome conditioning but damn.

I ran at his pace for about 2 miles and started getting winded. I forced it through the 3rd mile and then lowered the speed a little bit so I was going just a little slower then he was and I managed to get 5 miles out before I was done. I was amazed it wasnt the distance but the pace that this guy runs at wasnt that fast if your only running one mile I think he did each mile at 7 minutes 30 secs but for an extended period of time it was hard

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

My homie runs the los Angeles and san Francisco marathons, he's an asshole to run with.

But ever since nick diaz did that ironman I wanna get into doing a half triathlon.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah man i have never seen diaz get gassed in a fight and I dont think you can gas him out because he conditions so hard

4. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

I have an uncle thats in his sixties and still running marathons and doing triathalons. I've never had that kinda endurance, it blows my mind:bowdown:

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:mamoru:

6. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

7:30/mile for five miles is pretty amazing to me.

7. tkluu

tkluu New Member

i cant even do 1 mile at 7:30 on the treadmills

8. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

sounds dumb, but you can be running right and you can be running wrong. and there is a curve to it. so if you are athletic and cant run, then you just need to keep at it and you will get good fast.

I personally have slightly poor form when i run so i get tired and sore faster than i think i should.

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

share info for uber conditioning stat

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

omg my shins and lower back feel like shit crappy form for the lose

11. Titus

Titus New Member

i think i need new shoes or something. my shins are killing me... they've never been like this before. i know my form is good so it has to be my shoes

12. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I've noticed that anaerobic athletes (specifically, wrestlers) tend to hang much better with aerobic athletes (runners) than vice versa.

Anecdotal evidence here, not organized or anything, but I've seen it a few times with people in very good shape from cycling or running just getting completely, profoundly exhausted after wrestling for twenty minutes.

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

there's a few guys that are runners who come to bjj, theyre gassed out before ive broken a sweat. Its just what your body gets used to.

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

With bjj I'm noticing that as I improve I'm using more simple technique instead of battling and trying to muscle out of positions that I don't know how to solve. So I'm able to be more patient and looks for opportunities to attack, which allowing me to conserve more energy and roll longer.

I used to do x-country and I hate running now that I'm older. But your advice is pretty much spot on. We used to carb load like crazy with pasta the night before the races. Depending on our goals we would run anywhere from 35-45 miles each week. If we ran only 3-5 miles, it would be hills and then paired up with 1/4mile track sprints.
    For a 5 mile run you want to be doing 6:30 miles.

15. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

that used to happen to me alot when I used to run in boot camp. I had good running shoes and decent form and I found out it was because I was flat footed. I found out a little to late and got shin splints. Check out if your flat footed and if you are get some good insoles

16. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If you want to get good at running just join the army. When I got out I could run a mile in under 6 minutes. I think 12:50 was the best 2 mile that I ever had. We had to do a 5 mile run in under 40 minutes every few months. Usually I came in at around 37-38. Now I'd be impressed with myself if I ran an 8 or 9 minute mile :hs:. 2 miles without quitting aint happening.

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

just got back from the gym before you posted this I felt a little but hurt and was thinking the same thing. I offered him to go through my usual conditioning routine. Like I said I try to do alot of sport specific work outs and sprints.

To give you an idea this is what I do for an hour.
    warm up stretches and try to get everything limber before I start.
    5 mins of jump rope to losen me up.
    10 push ups for a rest
    5 mins of shaddow boxing with 3lbs weights
    10 push ups for a rest

Then I do a drill were i work on my foot work around the heavy bag and work the jab offensively and defensively trying to move at a real fast pace. So it will just be jab, jab cross, jab jab cross combinations im mainly working on foot work and effectively using my body movement and jabs. I do about a minute of it and then when the bell rings i do about 20 - 25 secounds of really fast paced inside fighting combinations. The theory being im working the jab and the foot work to find oppenings and now i found it so i have to explode and try to finish. I do that for about 5 mins

Then I start working more muay thai oriented stuf I will work combinations on the tear drop bag and when its time for the bursts I will clinch the bag and knee really fast for 20 - 25 secounds.

Then I move on to a thai bag and work kicks with 5 pound ankle weights on. Left leg I try to throw as many round house kicks as I can with my right leg for 30 secounds and then shaddow box for 30. As many as I can with the other leg and then shaddow box for 30. same thing with front kicks. Then to finish it off I do a min of kick boxing combinations. like jab right round house left knee right streight.

When Im done Ill grab the weights again and while i still have the ankle weights ill do shaddow boxing for 5 mins and then drop the weights and take off the ankle weights.

Then Ill get a medicine ball and startusing that to finish up. For one minute ill get on a bench and do leg raises with the medicine ball in between my legs. Then Ill do 1 minute of oblique crunches with the ball. One min on each side. Then one minute of crunches. Then Ill get on my stomach and do one minute of back curls.

Ill do lunges for a min then do this jumping drill with the medicine ball for explosive streghnth for take downs. 1 minute of sprawls (pain in the ass) then shaddow box with no weights for 2 mins.

Jump rope for 5 mins with one of those big black hoes jump ropes. Then finish the work out with sprints. Ill sprint a 40 walk back then sprint a 40 walk back sprint a 40 walk back untill I cant do it any more. That usually eats up another 5 - 10 mins.

He hung in there with me till i started doing the kneeing on the tear drop bag then he started ass dragging from there and when I was doing weighted shaddow boxing he was just shaddow boxing. He couldnt make it through the routine i wasnt paying attention were he stoped but he stopped before i worked on the abbs.

He said that he wasnt having probelems when we were doing things at a steady pace but when I started getting into the parts where you need to explode for almost half a minute it would start to take its toll on him and thats what started to burn him out. he also said his upperbody mucles were getting fatigued. Mainly shoulders and back. He also felt alot of pain in his hip flexor muscle but thats understandable because of the kicks.

18. Titus

Titus New Member

no, it's because i started running on a treadmill. i've ran pretty long distances my whole life for wrestling and stuff. it's gotta be the treadmill since i've never had this problem.

19. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

compare your knees at age 35

20. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

btw i think running is terribly overated

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

my step dads 43 and he was running marathons since he was 18 still runs and doesnt have any problems

22. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

:rofl: I used to be a distance runner, but now do Muay Thai.
    7:30 is nothing.

Could I do it now? Fuck no. Since I stopped distance running I've gained 35 pounds (that was the goal, I was scrawney). I could easily do 2 miles at a 7:30 pace now, but after 3 miles I would be struggling. But give me 2 months of running training, and shit would be easy.

:werd:

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

omg my knees swollen and feels weird fuck running