MIL Went and spoke with a NG recruiter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jimmybuffett, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

It looks as though I will be enlisting as infantry. I have one semester to go and I will be in boot camp next summer. I am splitting it up between two summers for basic and actual training.

Not signed shit yet, but this seems to be the pathway I'm headed down.

:noes:

2. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

Just out of curiosity...

Why infantry?

If you are so close to a degree, why not go officer?

3. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

Because I'm close to my associates not my bachelors.

Infantry because its the shortest training and there is a new infantry unit being made up in Monett, MO which is about a 30 minute drive from me.

edit- i dont know if its bullshit or not but the recruiter told me with it being a new unit, they wont be able to deploy for several years too.....is that bullshit or is he right?

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I believe NG currently has a 5 year rotation. Not sure if a brand new unit will get any longer than normal, but I'm guessing that at a minimum they should have the 5 years.

5. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

So deployment shouldn't be an issue? Not that I'm not willing to go, but it would be A OK to not go.

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

A: I'm not positive that NG is on a five year cycle. I believe that's what it is, but it may be shorter.
    B: I would be very surprised if you didn't deploy. I tell everyone that is thinking about joining that they shouldn't join if they don't want to deploy.
    C: All of the above.

7. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

Yea, like I said, it's not a concern. But it would sure put my parents at ease if I had a large chance of NOT deploying.

I'm doing this against my parents to better myself and my life. I've gone to school for a while and have no reason to be there. I stare off into space, I don't take it serious, I make decent grades,etc. I just feel lost.

We'll see how it goes

8. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I still see no reason why you are going for infantry.
    You can choose whatever unit you want to be part of in the NG, you are filling a SPECIFIC, PINPOINT spot.

Do not worry about the training, worry about the job you will have on the other end. My basic/AIT consumed the majority of my first year in the Army. During that time, you will be getting paid and there is a good chance you will be having a LOT of fun.

I went to Ft. Benning for basic, which is where you would go if you wanted to be infantry. It was no joke when I went through in 2004, but I do not know how it is now. Splitting your basic and AIT is going to be quite a bit of a shock. We had a few guys that hit AIT after their break and they were different. They got destroyed by the drill sergeants for not remembering half the shit they were supposed to from basic. You might not have a hard time, who knows. I was glad to get in, completely knock out my training, and then move on with my life and career. For you, you are going to feel awesome after basic, then wait, and wait, and wait. Infantry "AIT" is not going to be laid back. When I was on Benning and ran in to the infantry guys, they said their AIT was just an extension of basic, ha!