MMA Went and saw Spirit MC 17 last Sunday

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Beepsandbuzzes, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Beepsandbuzzes

Beepsandbuzzes New Member

Thought I'd have a go at a write up for Cage crew.

It's the main Korean MMA org, in the past Dennis Kang and Kim Dong Hyun have fought in this org, apparently Kang is still the belt holder in his weight division even though he no longer fights there. It was Held in a big gym in the Northern part of Seoul, I don't know how to estimate crowd sizes, it was a reasonable sized crowd, but not comparable to the size of the crowds in the UFC or major Jap orgs, I suppose it's a similar sized event to DEEP. Almost all the fighters are Korean but there were a couple of international fighters, one guy American and one Japanese. They were in the two best fights of the night in my opinion, both on the losing end.

The American, Landon Showalter, fought against a tall lanky Korean named Yoon Young Kim. The prefight vid gave me the impression that Showalter had KO power and was going to KTFO the Korean fighter, however Yoon Young completely dominated Showalter with knees and better technique for the whole fight, submitting him with a sweet triangle in the second round.

The Japanese fighter Ryuichi Murata went up against a tubby Korean named Jae Young Kim, and took a big hit to the jaw right at the opening of the first, and then the fight was called when he was being pummeled on the ground. It seemed like a premature stoppage, because Jae Young was not hitting Murata with many of the punches on the ground, however Murata had to get stretchered out, so I'm guessing the stoppage was good.

This is their website in English with results etc. if anyone cares:

http://www.spiritmc.org/eng/

2. Beepsandbuzzes

Beepsandbuzzes New Member

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I'm surprised to see Koreans already produce decent fighter yet there hasn't been a good fighter out of China yet. I know there's a couple BJJ schools in China and I think there's some MMA events there that cater to the Chinese like Art of War but we haven't seen any of them yet in the big leagues.

:dunno:

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

You probably won't. Remember all the crap that Yao Ming had to go through to play for the Rockets?