Well, Scott. It's about that time of year again. :)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Mar 17, 2006.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

A moment of your time - please do not impose upon yourself to respond quickly as it is at least a month and a half before I am going to touch either of these cars. :big grin:

This is my yearly thread bothering you about new products after the time I've spent researching them since last December. Here is my plan, I am hoping as usual that you can lend me your thoughts on possible direction/alternatives for what I am trying to accomplish

1. M3
    [​IMG]

Clay
    SSR2.5
    SSR1
    Jeff's Werkstatt Prime
    Acrylic Jet
    Souveran topper
    Natty's Blue before car shows/shoots/meets

I have been going for the slickest, "wettest" look for the M3 for the past few years and I am pretty set with both the SSR prep products and the finishing Souveran/Natty's carnauba combos. I had great results with the family's 05 TL going with the Natty's over Souveran, so I suspect I will be just as happy with this finishing combo on the M3:

[​IMG]

2. Z4
    [​IMG]

Clay
    SSR2.5
    SSR1
    Jeff's Werkstatt Prime
    Acrylic Jet
    xxxx?????

I am at a loss after this. From what I have read, the Werkstatt combo works very well with lighter colored cars but I guess I am lost with what carnauba topper to use. Is Souveran wasted on a white car? What about Natty's Blue? Just curious on your thoughts on this, as I will most likely try the combo anyway unless you are firmly opinioned that it would be a waste.

Again, thank you for your time Scott, and please respond at your leisure - I will be researching this issue for a while.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, I think you will find that no topper is necessary with AJ. Just keep layering it on. The only topper I have ever used was Paste Glaz on a Supra.

As you can see, it did turn out well:

[​IMG]

Here is just AJ over Prime on metallic black. AJ gives a very wet and clear look to the paint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On red with no topper:

[​IMG]

I'd go with just Prime and AJ first, add a layer or two and see what you think. If you do top it, I'd use something neutral, like S100, #16, or Natty's Blue-carnaubas that accentuate the clarity of the paint.

3. El Slotho

Sorry to have posted this thread and basically abandoned it - I had some other things taking my attention and haven't had time to think about this season's paint care. :sad2:

Those cars look fantastic. FANtastic. I think half the problem is that no matter how good the car looks, I always wonder if it would look better with another product on top of it. :big grin:

I will definitely keep with the Acrylic Jet coats. At least at first. I stocked up on Natty's Blue for the coming season so it will come down to how much longer I can resist adding a coat.

Thanks for the advice Scott! And you know I will be posting pics once everything begins. :big grin:

4. El Slotho

Not having the time that I used to, I decided to hit the Z4 tonight as a Friday project and leave only a bit of work left for tomorrow when I wake up.

wash/Clay/wash
    SSR2.5 PC on 5, yellow pad.
    SSR1 PC on 5, white pad
    Jeff's Prime, PC on 5, black finishing pad.

The pics suck due to available light, but I took some anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After SSR2.5 and SSR1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first time I have used Jeff's. I like their packaging.
    [​IMG]

After Prime:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Prime looks great - at least as far as I can see in the garage right now at 2:00 AM. It was wet and rainy tonight, and towards the end things got a bit cold, so the Prime did not dry perfectly. Even after "marinating" for 45 minutes some spots still took some elbow grease to fully remove. In the end it looks slick, clean and glossy. :big grin:

Tomorrow morning I plan on layering two coats of Acrylic Jet before I finish - I can't wait to see what it looks like. :x:

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I like the looks after the SSR2.5 and SSR1.

Tell me, did you do one panel at a time and remove or the whole car then remove?

Awesome work man.

Justin

6. El Slotho

Thanks man. I go over the entire car and then remove the SSR. It takes less time than going panel by panel - Which I do when I am applying a paste wax that calls for it like Pinnacle Souveran. I am heading back into the garage now to finish the car up, wish me luck. :big grin:

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Thanks man. I like this combo. I like being to offer my customers something that isn't in a "chain" store.

Keep up the good work and post more pics!

Justin

8. El Slotho

Done and done:

Final pics in the sun, two coats of Acrylic jet. Very liquid, very glossy, and very, very wet. This combo rocks harder on white than anything else I have used on the car to date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Wow, white looks hott :cool:

10. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Simply AMAZING!!!

Good work...they should pay you for advertising!

Justin

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

12. El Slotho

It must be the pictures because there isn't one swirl on the car, man. I went over it incessantly, panel by panel, both last night and this afternoon and after the SSR2.5 and SSR1 combo the paint was as defect free as it gets. Not only that, but the Z4 is garaged all winter, and the paint didn't have any real swirls on it to begin with. :dunno:

13. Scottwax

Damn, that turned out really damn nice! Just FYI, with Prime, if you see any thick spots, just run the buffer over it again to knock them down, makes it easier to buff off. Normally, it takes me 1/4 oz of Prime and of AJ to cover a car completely.

Oh yeah, told you...Werkstatt products rock! Even on black and I normally don't like sealants on black paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Scott,
    What are you using on the tires on the F-250?
    Applying by hand/applicator?

Thanks man,
    Justin

15. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Pretty sure he is using plain ol Armor All

16. Scottwax

Armor All using an applicator that one of my customer's company's makes. Griots Garage is selling it (in their new catalog) but I don't see it on their website yet.

EDIT: Found it! http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=50557

17. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Interesting, ill have to stop by their corperate office and see that (as they are right downt he road).

18. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I've been looking at Griot's stuff. Chemicals are high but they do have some unique tools.
    And this is one that I'll be getting!

One size only?

Thanks Scott,
    Justin

19. El Slotho

I learned a lot with this one application - It seems critical to use as little product as possible to avoid those thick spots that can be tough to remove with both the Prime and AJ. I am going to add another layer next weekend to see how it holds up over the week, but I am really satisfied with the results on white. :bigthumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is up next. The easy winter was good to the paint, as there is still some Souveran left on the paint from one lucky 60 degree day in January. :big grin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Scottwax

That Z4 is hotness! When using Prime or AJ, just make another pass to knock down any high spots before buffing off.

21. El Slotho

Excellent. Thanks for the advice Scott, as usual the Z4 has never looked better and I am looking forward to attacking the M3. :big grin:

22. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

White is one color that it just hard to get a good reflection in. But, you've done it. It helps that you can take good pictures to man!
    I did an '06 750 last Friday with 2 coats of NXT about 4 hours a part. Looked good enough for the customer but not good enough for me! Now, I have a plan for it next month. Gonna order up some of Jeff's stuff and try it out.
    Can't wait to see the M3 with this process on it!

Justin

23. Scottwax

Always glad to pass along what I have learned and products I have had great success with to the members of this forum. Seeing how incredibly good you all are getting makes it all worthwhile. :)

24. El Slotho

Thanks Justin - And thank you, Scott. I appreciate the good press. :big grin:

Last November, during one of the freaky warm days, I took a day and ran our 96 Jeep ZJ through the whole process of

Poorboy's SSR2.5, yellow cutting pad, PC set to 5
    Poorboy's SR1, white polishing pad, PC set to 5
    Poorboy's EX-P sealant, hand applied and removed

We then drove it to South Carolina, where I added two coats of Poorboy's Natty's Blue paste wax and then drove it back up to Connecticut towards the end of January. It was then driven through the nicely light winter with maybe a sporadic wash here and there. Today I washed it, and the water was still beading up surprisingly well! In the direct sunlight, however, the finish was a tragedy - Swirl city baby.

So I decided to half ass it. :big grin:

I ran the PC over the paint with Meguiar's NXT, white pad with the PC on 5. I was surprised at how good the Jeep looked with just the NXT application:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels need to be cleaned and the lower bumper could use some product, but that wasn't today's focus - The paint looks fantastic. And it feels very slick to the touch. I know the NXT isn't going to last long, as that is the drawback of the product, but right now the Jeep's paint looks like I ran it through the whole arduous Swirl Remover/Polish/Sealant process again, and the wash and NXT application took me less than an hour. :big grin:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  25. DA King

DA King ALT + S Ownage King

CT huh? come teach me how you do such a killer job. i gotta get rid of all these damn swirl marks and learn how to detial properly. you do a great job :thumbup: