well, my windows is finally legal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stoliohranj, Dec 5, 2005.

1. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

i gotta say... :hs:

i guess its nice to be legal. and for $4.50, the price was right. but the only real benefit is the moral dilema (which obviously hasn't bothered me since i got the good o'l fckgw one back when it first hit the scene)

basically, all i'm trying to say is: anyone that says illegal copies of windows are inferior due to corruption is full of shit.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

True.

But, considering that Windows is shit in general, who cares?

3. stoliohranj

well, lets be honest here. what are my alternatives?

OSX - sure its nice, but i don't feel like spending all that money on mac equipment, maybe i'll consider it when it is fully released with complete driver support for x86

ANY linux - troublesome at best. even if you are a linux master, there is still a lot of shit to do. i know i don't feel like having to fuck around with having to compile every program i install, and even if it does have an RPM, half the time there is some goofy error.

so basically, if you want to USE a computer, not fuck around with making it work every time you want to install a different program, then windows is the only viable option for x86

4. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

ib10kUbuntureplies

5. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Got a campus agreement somewhere? I help run the program at my university, we have 26000 some cd sets on like 4 or 5 pallets available for about $4.50.

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

God damn... available to the public or students only?

7. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Students only, moreover - currently registered students only.

8. stoliohranj

yeah, technically its only valid as an upgrade, but it allows you to install from nada.

9. Penguin Man

This paragraph is 100% certified bullshit, FUD and lies. You haven't tried a modern Linux distro if you believe this to be the case. You'll never discover how good it is unless you try it.

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i get it free through my college, completely free and legal too, they pay microsoft some lump fee and we are allowed to use a VLK(volume license key). we can get alot of systems, win98, millenium (ha), nt4, win200, winxp pro, win xp home, win xp64, 2000 server (advanced server and data center), server 2003, also betas of longhorn/vista and a bunch of other microsoft products...except office...for some reason they charge for office, but it's like $15, so no big deal. these are available in full and upgrade editions
    only catch is that we are allowed to only use it exclusively on our home pcs.

11. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Whats so much better about it? I always thought it was mainly for running servers and such.

12. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

We have that program as well, but it is through a different college at the university. The volume keys are good for things like visual studio.net, msdn, etc too.

13. Apothis

Apothis New Member

It's true that linux still has a ways to go in the user-friendly department, and it especially has a long way to go in terms of mainstream 3rd party support. However, installing programs and getting updates is extremely easy these days, especially for debian-based distros like Ubuntu. Through apt-get (and it's gui front ends) you can get all kinds of things as simply as finding what you want and clicking "apply". The system keeps itself up to date as well, not just the system itself but all the add-on stuff you installed too. Windows Update just updates Windows (and I guess Office). Updating linux updates everything that has updates available. It really is extremely easy.

Linux is also much more flexible than both windows and mac when it comes to partitioning (if you're into that sort of thing). I like that I can have the /home folder on it's own partition/disk so I can reinstall or change the system without skipping a beat in the profiles. This very much > "documents and settings" or "Users" on windows and mac respectively.

Linux is really very powerful and flexible. It does have shortcommings, but that's usually due to a lack of mainstream support rather than an inate weakness in itself. It is constantly evolving though, at a quicker pace than the propietary stuff. Its userbase and support are growing too, but it still has a ways to go.

14. fanatic

fanatic BC2 needs more barrell roll

Bought a Windows XP upgrade from my school for $10 dollars, but it's basically just a full copy of XP with SP2 included. It also came with XP 64bit with it, so I was happy with that. Then I also got Office 2003 Pro for $15 dollars. Now I just need to find a friend that's an art major so I can get Photoshop CS2 for dirt cheap too.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

And that's where clean, university-supplied, volume-licensed install CDs come in very, very handy.

(cough) not that I have one, of course, I just...know people...who...told me.

(cough)

16. stoliohranj

bullshit my ass. i've had troubles in both unbutu and fedora core 4. i may not be the most savvy computer user, but i consider myself above average, and they really aren't user friendly enough. granted i did get it to work, but it WASTED so much of my time trying to get it to work the way i wanted.

17. stoliohranj

i agree with that 100%, but its flexibility makes it unfriendly to a user that doesn't want to spend hours learning how, and then actually configuring the system.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its not FUD. I spent like two hours trying to get a friend's soundcard to work in Fedora Core 3 the other day. It was pathetic. I gave up. I'm gonna try Ubuntu, but unless its about 300% better than Fedora... he's right.

If your hardware isn't auto-detected and configured by whatever distribution you choose... you have a full day's work ahead of you getting it to work with everything. This drives me fucking crazy every time it happens. I CAN read FOSS documentation and get to the root of every single problem that arises, whole long chains of problems each dependant on the other. I CAN do that. I'm good at it, as I have years of experience. But... I HATE to do that. I'd rather be accomplishing ACTUAL WORK. I liked it when I was 15. I got off on tuning my arcane operating system. These days I am offended by it. I am infuriated by having to do this shit.

I'm doing an Ubuntu install on this same PC (Dell something 4600) this weekend. Maybe my mind will change. I doubt it.

19. Penguin Man

Very well said. Of course it has issues, every OS does. However, I prefer using Linux to using Windows or OSX. It just works better.

20. deusexaethera

Actually, most Linuxes have the ability to download updates for all of your programs all at once and install them automatically, and compiling your own programs is purely a performance-enhancing option nowadays. Windows is definitely the more high-maintenance OS these days, though I do concede that Linux gives you greater freedom to really fuck shit up if you want to start flipping switches left and right.

21. deusexaethera

Unix is used for running servers. Linux can run servers, but it's more capable at running desktop PCs than any other Unix-derived OS. Except, I suppose, Mac OSX if you really want to count it. Same with Solaris and Irix, which have their own very distinct specialties and aren't what you would call "general-purpose operating systems."