Well my powerbook has backlight leakage...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i watched a widescreen dvd in the dark tonight and noticed its all along the bottom. i'm calling apple in the morning to see what they are going to do about it since i bought it in november

:wtc:

heres to hoping they swap it out for a rev d

2. Brian

Brian New Member

can u explain to me what backlight leakage does?

i have a sony lcd that has backlight leakage but it looks fine

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

watch a widescreen dvd where it puts the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. you'll see around the edge that its not really black. it will look like someone is holding a flashlight on the bottom of the screen and light is shining through, making it a lighter shade of black

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

We're taking mmy GF's in Monday to look into the warping issue.

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ok before i put my credit card up for a $40 something dollar charge since my 90 day phone support is up, does anyone know what settings and configurations support would make me do to test the screen?

if they make me run tests/settings on it that will fix the small backlight issue and it fixes it, they keep my $40. if they cant fix it by tweaking it, i have to mail it to them and they fix it, which will take about a week.

starting to look like its not worth it. i only noticed it last night b/c i watched a dvd and OT has put the idea in my head. Without OT i never would have noticed it :sad2: thanks you fuckers for corrupting me

edit: cool, i found a service center in town. i'm going to call them monday when they open and see what i need to do to have them take a look at it and fix it

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  6. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Something like backlight leakage can't be easily fixed, and most likely Apple will just replace the entire LCD for you. But be warned - you might end up getting one even worse than what you have right now, including dead pixels.

If it doesn't really bother you, I say leave it alone. You might end up regretting it.

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

If Apple ever did that they would have to replace that one too.

8. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Thats what you'd think. But i've heard a lot of horror stories of people getting something worse than they originally had, and when they try to get it replaced, Apple suddenly claims that the defect is "within specifications" or some crap like that. Believe me, its happened.

9. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

When I got my cracked LCD replaced on my PowerBook (went through hell to do it though) the LCD that replaced it was riddled with dead pixels... Still dealing with them, I think I counted 12 one night, had to really look for them, but they are all there. Luckily only a few really pop out.

10. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

is the best way to test for dead pixels to put a solid white background up?

11. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I find more with black :o But some are bright red or black no matter what color backround I have... Really annoying because they are in the middle and I am always trying to wipe them off thinking its dirt :o

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Funny. I usually hear the opposite.