Well, my 20" iMac CoreDuo is dead :wtc:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dnicol, May 13, 2006.

1. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

Was playing around with garage band today, had the external speakers and the guitar plugged into the line-in. Everything was working great, I had my input volume turned down enough so that it wasn't screechingly loud, everything sounded great, i was pleased. then.. it happened.

suddenly i went to push the volume up button and nothing happened. my computer no longer recognized any sound output devices. not the built in speakers, not the line out. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with an applecare helper, and nothing prevailed. I reinstalled OS X.

I get everything started again, but the input volume stopped registering past 13%. I tried unplugging the speakers and setting them aside, and my screen went grey, and told me i needed to restart. the application OS X had quit unexpectedly:ugh:

now, everytime i turn it on, the speakers and input are somewhat buggy, and if i try to plug anything in or take anything out of either the line in or line out the computer goes to the grey screen of death.

should i send it in? should i do a complete install of OS X? Help me, or atleast console me:hsd:

2. robwormald

robwormald New Member

erase and install is your friend.

3. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

It's been a while since I received my recording school certificate, but something tells me going directly from a guitar to the line input is pretty wrong. A guitar does not output a line signal.

4. thezak

thezak New Member

as long as the guitar signal is not powered, you should be ok....i think...at least i have been for the past year. :dunno:

i vote erase and install, too.

5. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

so if i want to continue to do this i should get a mixer board thing? one of those garage band tools? guess ill slap everything on the external HD. im worried that i fried something though.

6. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Sounds like you fried the codec. I don't know what kind of load a guitar puts out. Lemme ask around.

7. dirteemac

This would probably do the job: http://www.line6.com/pod/overview.html

8. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

My Powerbook as taken a line in directly from my active bass and line out from an amp to line in on the computer and it still works perfectly.

9. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

Thats what seems odd to me. The guitar isn't powered, there isn't a battery or anything in it. and I hadn't had the input volume at full blast.

10. dirteemac

Guitars, mics and turntables don't output a line signal, they need extra power.

11. CarRamRod

Right, all those need pre-amps to boost the signal a bit.

From what I can tell, the soundcard isn't dead in the machine, but somehow the driver might have been hosed. Might want to re-install (bare) OSX.

12. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

fuck i can't get anything onto my external before it dies. i hate this!

13. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

thank god for T+start button. so next time i want to record my crappy music i should get a little firewire mixer or something?

14. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

You should do that anyway. You can get them for as little as under $100 or the Firepod is firewire for $500 and is pretty nice. They come in USB and firewire but I would go firewire. USB is generally cheaper.

15. CarRamRod

You can record directly into the Line-In, but you have to mind your volume level going into the system. If you can adjust the level on the guitar, turn it down and gain up the Line-In level, it's safer.

16. dnicol

dnicol shoopdawoop

thats what i was doing! argh. i did a fresh install of OS X, completely wiped the drive and before the computer even gets to the desk top it tells me i need to restart. im returning it. fuck.