well, ms did it again

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Aug 13, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

They ranted and raved about how quick and "smart" the installer was. Well, I am testing things out for network deployment... I wrote a script that handles some back-end clean up that needs to occur before the install, then it copies the install files to the c: drive and starts the install. But then vista (which is supposed to be "smart") doesn't recognize that it's not loading from an optical drive, so it re-copies the files to the hard drive that the files are already on, and it takes for fucking ever to do it. Stupid microsoft.

And before anyone suggests it, yes I could just load setup from the network and it'll copy to the hdd once, but after testing it, that actually takes longer than a fully copy by script and run locally. My way will also let me push the files to the systems and run setup later I plan for production version to run on user log-off so it'll be good to go when they get back in the morning.

[​IMG]

Gotta love late-night testing......
    [​IMG]

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Holy shit, look at all that blue light. Jolly, don't you know that bright blue light is linked to depression, presumably via our go-to-sleep-at-dusk instinct? You really need to bust out some halogens in that room.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Damn.

I wonder what happens if you have a pink sky at sunset?

:mamoru:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I do have halogen lights. However, I usually leave them off because they generate too much heat.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I hear that, but it's worth considering that halogens are more efficient because they can get so hot. Regular incandescent lightbulbs without halogen gases in them can't get as hot, so their visible light output is a much smaller percentage of their total energy output.

You could have regular lightbulbs, but to get the same amount of light you'd actually end up generating more heat than the halogens. Fluorescents aren't really an option, in my opinion, because the light quality still sucks.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Why the jump to Vista?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

we're migrating now because it's time to start building some new machines and I didn't feel like paying for xp licenses when I could get vista licenses for similar cost and be more future-proof.

Trying to do a controlled, un-eventful migration. I don't want to be the first-to-adopt and I don't want to rush to adopt when it's almost too late. Just seemed like a good time to try it out. We haven't rolled out to the main machines yet, just to mine and a few testers.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Pay for Vista licenses and use XP?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have heard that is possible. So if things don't go well, then I will do that in the interim. However, getting Vista stable and developing a smooth vista rollout mechanism is something that I need to get done.... If nothing else I want to be covered for the future, and I'm sure I'll have clients wanted me to handle their rollouts, as well.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Sure is. We're doing it for Office 2007 as well - licensing for 2007, but using 2003 and then when we actually have critical mass, deploy it for everyone.