GUN Well I'm never buying Hydra-shoks again. GDHP here I come.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by itchiban, Jan 27, 2004.

1. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I was just cleaning my XD40 and was cycling a mag through it just to make sure the feed ramp was clean and working. I loaded my mag up with the Federal Hydras and got to the 7th round in the mag and it jammed. I was like "fuck" So I pulled my gun apart and looked at everything and saw it was normal. Then I load up my mag with Speer Lawman and it cycles fine. Okay. I load up WWB, It cycles fine. I load up the same Federals and got TWO jams. Im like WTF? So I pull all the hydras out and look at them and see this on 3 of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the sub compact is pulling bed side duty tonight, due to the fact that i just disposed of all of my Hydra shoks. Tomorrow I have the day off and im going to the range to fire a few more Gold Dots off to test them out (I had been considering them anyway.) I hope the XD isn't at fault here, Its just strange that the other brands cycled through and the Hydras didnt.

Just thought I'd share. :)

2. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

weird. post this on www.hs2000talk.com and see what they have to say. maybe someone has had a similar issue (though i can't recall of one).

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

4. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:rofl: how the hell didnt u notice that when u were loading the mag?

5. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

:eek3: Better to find this out now than in the middle of the night while someone is breaking into your house.

6. itchiban

itchiban Guest

I dont mind at all

I dont think they were like that when I loaded them, but when they jammed. Not really sure, but I would think that I'd notice something like that.

Seriously. I would be proper fucked. Not only would the boogieman steal all my stuff, but I would have kB! while watching him do it!

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

That is a MAJOR round setback, that could cause extremely high chamber pressure and blow your gun up. I'm glad you found that before it was too late. I use GDHP in my guns, except for the few +p+ hydrashoks I have left in my G19.

8. Furner

Furner New Member

interesting, all I have for 9mm defense is hydras, i havnt made a big investment in defensive ammo yet, maybe I should keep shopping....

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

So what would everyone reccomend for .40 for self defense? (Sig P226 if it makes a difference)

10. footratfunkface

i just posted two links, to two different ballistic tests. they are the only two rounds in .40 S&W that i can say without a doubt i'd recommend. there are probably more that are just as good, but since i've yet to see them tested, i can't comment on them.

11. itchiban

itchiban Guest

Thanks man. THe hydras were about 2 weeks old and probably had only been cycled one other time. The last time I cleaned the gun. I dont make it a habit to "play" around with a loaded weapon, i.e. cycle it for no apparent reason. So I'm thinking that my feed ramp is just not smooth enough to where the round can just slide in. Instead it Hits, then slides. The only thing that bugged me about the Hydras is that the other ammo I tried didnt do this. No matter how many times I cycled it.

Thanks for the help. :cool:

I bought the Gold Dots anyway. :bigthumb:

12. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

Wow...glad you caught that...I need to go check mine...

I use Hydra Shocks too. But I think I'll switch over to Corbon's or something. From all the other posts, I'm not quite sure if its manufactur related. Just need be aware of whats in my magazine...

13. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Weird, i have hydras too :hs:, but in the 9's. U should test them out again to see if u can repeat it.

14. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

some guy blew his finger off at a range here last month. he was using reloads and his gun exploded. :sad2:

15. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

I use Cor-Bon JHP in mine. I belive the box says they are 1200 fps loads.

16. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Cor-bon is an excellent round, as are the Gold Dots and Ranger series, I also hear good things about the Golden Sabres.

17. footratfunkface

certain GS are good. even with the new bonded ones, you have some that fall apart, or don't expand. look at www.ammolab.com and their Golden Saber tests. they don't do that well in the calibers and weights they tested. they even had one shed a jacket. it still expanded and penetrated well, but that's a fluke, and jacket shedding is a major problem.