GUN Well, i think imma get a handgun within a month or two, what should i be looking at?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Chi_Town_GoD, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

Just sent for my IL gun license..

since we don't do concealed carry, this is going to be an office/home defense gun. Basically i am thinking of something moderately priced, relatively reliable.

Since its not going to be a concealed carry, size is not really a big deal. So full-size frames are ok..

I am thinking either a 9mm, hi-power or B92, or P99, or some cheaper sig or F&N or whatever..

Or a mil-spec.. always wanted one..

what do you people think?

2. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

well, that's a broad question.. do you want a revolver or autopistol ? what's your price range? which caliber do you want ? what do you like in a gun, what do you hate in a gun? single action, double action, both ? how often are you going to shoot ?

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i thought you bought one already :confused:

4. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Your name is Chi_Town_God, if you are indeed in Chicago, you can forget about it, as handguns are illegal within city limits unless you are police or military, or have a special permit from the mayors office

5. itchiban

itchiban Guest

:slap:

Just go to a range and shoot, shoot, shoot. You wont like all of them and you'll love alot of them. So just test drive some and see what fits you best.

6. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I'm assuming he means his FOID card. Here in IL, you have to register with the state simply to hold a gun. In the city of Chicago, no one outside of police, military, and political croonies can possess a handgun within the city limits.

7. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Chicago had the highest murder rate for 2003 in the US. Just goes to show how effective gun cotrol is

8. oakie

oakie my ninja.

shotguns make much better home defense guns that handguns in *most* cases. easier to handle, requires less aim (should you be less than awake at the time of need), less penetration thru building materials, and that most intimidating sound of cycling a pump action. ;)

just my $.02

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

holy shit. dear god, how can i contend with such an argument?

10. footratfunkface

maybe with this?

11. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

ive yet to see actual results, side by side, of a shotgun (oo buck) an AR and a handgun (9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp) fired through the average home walls

12. footratfunkface

www.ammolab.com

the tests are in there, under "penetration results" or something. the tests have been done. joe cool said he was going to try to do the test himself, but it's quite a bit of work to get it all together in a scientific manner, and i wouldn't doubt that if he does it, it'll be a little while.

13. footratfunkface

http://www.ammolab.com/_223_vs_handguns.htm

notice that the black talon and the hydrashok exited the exterior wall. these would be considered "defense rounds". the others, which wouldn't be good defense rounds compared to the available rounds on the market (neither would the hydrashok, but moving on...) didn't exit the exterior wall.

there's no shotgun test, but there are some here: http://www.ammolab.com/huts_bullet_penetration.htm not really what you're looking for, since that's tests of different bullet-resistant building materials. but it's common knowledge that 00 buckshot penetrates like there's no tomorrow.

14. Chi_Town_GoD

Chi_Town_GoD Guest

well.. quite honestly, i am aware of no handgun rule in chicago. But i don't currently live in the city. I live in the burbs. I might move to the city in a few though, not sure. The handgun would be registered in the burbs and kept in my own office also in the burbs. If i move into the city, i'd get a nice 12ga and call it a day..

15. footratfunkface

you just ignored my big long post, didn't you?

16. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Many of the burbs have the same ordinacne. You might want to check with your local police dept.

17. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i never said anything about 00 buckshot being used in a home defense weapon, nor do i advocate it in any way.

read my posts completely before inserting a short-sighted assumption that includes someone else's data that is only half relevant before shutting someone out.

oh yes, your "data" or article that you posted is ALL speculation except for the blurb about .223 ballistics. it has absolutely no information about shot patterns, probability of hit per round, or the shotgun's force ratio based on round choice.

lastly, have you ever fired a flash suppressed rifle in the dark before? the birdcage style flash suppressor doesnt reduce flash as much as it splits it in 4-5 directions (depending on amount of flutes) to help reduce the ability to locate the shooter. but it's still just as bright.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  18. footratfunkface

an A2 birdcage and an A1 birdcage have both been fired by me with M193, in pitch black. yes, it still makes quite the flash, but instead of a big fireball, it's spread out, which greatly reduces the amount of night-vision loss. a vortex flash hider is the most effective flash hider out there for an AR, with the phantom a near second. i'll be putting a phantom on my AR in the fall.

so, if a shotgun is better, but you don't intend to use 00 buck, and birdshot is terrible for penetration, what exactly do you plan to use? fleschettes?

as far as shot patterns, and probability of hit, that would depend entirely on where you aim. i honestly don't know what you mean by "force ratio".