Well here is a new one...doc says I have mild GOUT

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

So it's not enough that my shoulder is fucking ruined. I also have an acute sinus/ear infection. So I went to the doc this morning to get some antibiotics.

The joint in the left big toe has been hurting off and on for about a week. It started to really hurt yesterday. I could whack on it with no change in pain, but sometimes light pressure (like from a heavy blanket) would make it hurt a lot.

So the doc asks me about it, asks me what I'm eating (he knows I lift) and tells me I have "textbook gout."

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/174/main.html

It is obviously a result of a high protein diet, but usually only when the person does not consume enough water and/or uses a lot of caffeine or drinks a lot of wine. I drink a metric shit ton of water, I have the equivalent of one or two diet Cokes a day, and I barely drink alcohol. So, whatever, my kidneys want a vacation. I guess I'll just skip the shakes and eat normally for a week or so.

:hsd:

2. NB

NB New Member

3. NB

NB New Member

It's basic high school chemistry. After I read the info it was like a smack in the face. I was surprised that I hadn't thought of it myself.

4. Buzz Killington

5. NB

NB New Member

Gout blows

First post...true...You gotta start somewhere...

I had excrutiating pain in my heels. Doc said I had gout gave me some pain meds and a shot. Then the shit came back even worse. I could barely walk.
    So then I found that site and 1 year later I'm still pain free.

Try it...

"Lew" will vouch for me BTW

6. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

how long were you on this "high protein diet"? how many grams of protein per day?

7. Buzz Killington

Well, I suppose I could try it.

And if lew brought you here you are probably a verdant red Communist fifth-columnist dedicated to the overthrow of the government and the imposition of a centralized politburo.

8. Buzz Killington

I have been trying to get in around 200g a day (roughly bodyweight) for at least 6 months.

Upped the water intake maybe a month ago which is why I find this odd.

9. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

weird... wonder if pur, BDR, or timber has gout...

i've been at 150-250g a day for 3+ yrs (knock on wood)

10. NB

NB New Member

:rofl:

11. NB

NB New Member

Gout Info

Metabolism of purine in the diet produces uric acid, some of which interacts with sodium to form mono-sodium urate (MSU). The proportion of uric acid and MSU in the body is pH dependent -- the higher the pH the more MSU. At body pH, MSU is much less soluble than uric acid therefore the culprit of gout is predominantly MSU. When MSU crystallizes in the joints, the immune system sees these crystals as invading foreign bodies and attacks them with the crack troop type of white blood cells (neutrophils). The result is sudden and rapid development of inflammation, swelling, warmth, shiny red or purple stretched skin, extreme tenderness and intense and excruciating pain in the afflicted area. It also causes malaise, fever, chills, increased heart rate, and high blood pressure. Gout attacks often occur in these areas: big toes and the joints in feet, ankles, knees, hands, wrists, arms, elbows, and bursas, the ligaments and tendons around these joints; and, in rare cases, shoulders, necks, hips and spine.

12. Buzz Killington

Fuck, I'm going to sit in the hot tub and read about Kit Carson.

13. NB

NB New Member

Kit Carson

He cured his gout with this method...Right after I borrowed Lew's Anarchist Society Time Machine.

14. NB

NB New Member

The heat didn't really help me any...Unless you just enjoy time with rubber ducky.

15. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

My boss at work has it and he's not on a high protein diet so I don' think that's totally the cause.

16. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

my right heels hurt when i apply pressure on it. kind of wierd.

17. Drewski

Drewski New Member

or any other regular here for that matter.

i've been between 200-300g of protein for years now

18. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

that's what i thought...... all these message boards would be full of gout threads...

19. NB

NB New Member

It's not PROTEIN...It's PURINE and MSU

Metabolism of purine in the diet produces uric acid, some of which interacts with sodium to form mono-sodium urate (MSU). The proportion of uric acid and MSU in the body is pH dependent -- the higher the pH the more MSU. At body pH, MSU is much less soluble than uric acid therefore the culprit of gout is predominantly MSU. When MSU crystallizes in the joints, the immune system sees these crystals as invading foreign bodies and attacks them with the crack troop type of white blood cells (neutrophils). The result is sudden and rapid development of inflammation, swelling, warmth, shiny red or purple stretched skin, extreme tenderness and intense and excruciating pain in the afflicted area. It also causes malaise, fever, chills, increased heart rate, and high blood pressure. Gout attacks often occur in these areas: big toes and the joints in feet, ankles, knees, hands, wrists, arms, elbows, and bursas, the ligaments and tendons around these joints; and, in rare cases, shoulders, necks, hips and spine.

20. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

picard.jpg

21. NB

NB New Member

WTF on the PICARD Garbage...Here we go.

A high Purine diet contributes to gout...Where did I go wrong here?

Purines are found in high concentration in meat and meat products, especially internal organs such as liver and kidney. Plant based diet is generally low in purines. (Yet still contains some)
    Examples of high purine sources include: sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef kidneys, brains, meat extracts (e.g Oxo, Bovril), herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, and gravy.
    A moderate amount of purine is also contained in beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans, oatmeal, wheat bran and wheat germ.
    Moderate intake of purine-containing food is not associated with an increased risk of gout.

22. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

It sure aint protein alone. Sometimes my water intake sucks, and I've never had any problems. On my absolute worst diet days I consume a minimum of 300g protein. Most days it's usually between 400-500g.

23. Buzz Killington

I guess I will have to rethink my diet of brain and herring.

:mad:

24. NB

NB New Member

Heel Joint/Info

In human anatomy, the subtalar joint, also known as the talocalcaneal joint, is a joint of the foot. It occurs at the meeting point of the talus and the calcaneus. The joint allows inversion and eversion of the foot, but plays no role in dorsiflexion or plantarflexion of the foot.
    The talus is oriented slightly obliquely on the anterior surface of the calcaneus. There are two points of articulation between the two bones: one anteriorly and one posteriorly.

25. NB

NB New Member

:rofl: I know right?

Who eats that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.