well, finally did it v. need new(ish) parts

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by keleko, Dec 11, 2006.

1. keleko

keleko yes, he is

and it didn't take as long as i thought it would :uh: :mad: :wtc:

so yeah, i dropped mine today, in gear, and i picked it up (grabbed the clutch) and dropped it again

:uh:, twice :rolleyes:, no, seriously, :uh:

need all four light stalks and plastic, front right peg, right side marker (on headlight), possibly the headlight unit itself (still lights up), front brake lever (though i may be able to bend it back, haven't tried yet), both side covers for the engine - stator and gearbox?, right side mirror - but hell, i think they aren't original so lemme get both left and right mirrors, ....and i think that covers it for broken bits

plenty of scrapes, but the bike still rides/drives - though it seems hard to find neutral now (gee, i wonder why)

go ahead, flame on - but i learned lessons

i'll get pics of damage after i get back from a day-long trip tomorrow and post them tues. (too dark to get them right now), but here's what it was before:

[​IMG]

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

[good thing it's not in main forum or there'd be 3 pages of flames by now amirite?]

3. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

that sucks, ive dropped mine twice too now, first time i was parking and i just fell. second time i was coming out of a driveway and there was a bday party at the park across the street and i couldnt see into the street because of all the cars parked on the street so when i pulled forward, a car came across. i braked hard and tried to put my feet down but i was on an decline and my front tire was on the street and rear was still on the apron and i couldnt reach the pavement. fell on the other side this time.

only things that broke were the clutch and brake levers. so i just ground them down and made them shorties

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

oh, and coming to a slow stop, the front end does what i can only describe as "chatter"
    like a piston is cycling quickly 5-8 times :dunno:

happens with front or rear brake on, both off, in or out of gear

on a hard stop, it doesn't do that

5. dj_madness

dj_madness New Member

get it checked, dont wanna have damaged brakes or front end on the highway, etc..

6. 7960

7960 New Member

Don't beat yourself up for dropping it twice. It's easy to do something very stup...I mean "uncharacteristic of one's intelligence" immediately after dropping a bike. I was on my friend's GSXR 750, sitting at a light at about 6am on a fall morning. A guy in a pickup truck pulled up within inches (he was being an asshole). Light turned green and I went to take off and the tire spun on the dew-covered crosswalk...basically I picked up my feet but the rear tire was spinning and I fell over sideways. I quickly picked up the bike and went to leave again and popped a wheelie (I'd never done a wheelie before and never will again) because I was all jeebed up about getting away from there. I have no idea how I didn't go over backwards.

Buy your parts, fix your bike. Ride.

7. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

damn, thats a lot of damage from just dropping it. I've dropped my bike twice and the only damage I've done is snapped the end of the clutch lever and tweaked a clipon a bit (which I then adjusted back to where I wanted it).

8. keleko

keleko yes, he is

the light stalks are the things furthest out - they gonna break first, and they did

lights, brake lever, footpeg - the rest is mostly cosmetic
    gonna have a good looking over on sat. though with a guy who knows far far too much about these series bikes

9. keleko

keleko yes, he is

pics of carnage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

just because i wanted to check......

i went out (it's dark now) and turned the key to run

headlight lights up, all 4 corners light up, brake light lights up

to check:
    left turn, front and rear blink
    right turn, rear lights up but doesn't blink, front goes out
    brake, light doesn't get brighter - stays as running light level

:hs:

11. 7960

7960 New Member

shit dude...you said it dropped but it looks like you rolled it over and over

12. keleko

keleko yes, he is

dropped on left in gear, get ahold of clutch, picked up, rear tire still spinning so it grabbed, and dropped on right and slide ~10'

:uh::doh: :fuck:

13. keleko

keleko yes, he is

went over to a CB****F guru's house today (met the guy at the annual toy run) and we fixed it back to running proper condition........ well good as it's gonna get anyway until/if i do a full restoration

rebent the right rear arm for the turn signal to straighten it up, replaced the right mirror, pounded out the right peg and the brake lever, straightened up the headlight housing assy., readjusted the rear wheel (was rubbing the rear brake mounting bracket, prior to dropping), found and identified a wiring issue with the turn signals - basically the wiring connections need to be stripped off and replaced with new to get rid of corrosion
    and there may still be a charging problem - i won't know for sure until i get a digital voltmeter put on so i can see just what it's doing when running

we might have even got to ripping the carbs apart and clean 'em out along with adjusting valves, but he broke a bone in his hand at work a day or so ago and wasn't about to be doing a lot with it

learned a lot about the bike and some good roads to drive on around SFL :)

shitty day to ride, great day to work on a bike

14. keleko

keleko yes, he is

ya know....... living in S FL has it's major advantages when you just wanna GTFO and go ride :fawk:

pegged the speedo 3 times, cuz i could :wavey:

15. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Bullshit with all the rain we've been having. I've taken mine out about 3 times in the last 2 weeks (if that)

16. keleko

keleko yes, he is

see when i made the post?

yeah - wasn't raining at that time

17. keleko

keleko yes, he is