Weird Ubuntu + Thumbdrive problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, May 8, 2007.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop so i can play around with it an dlearn some. I tried putting my 2GB thumbdrive in this morning to transfer some files from laptop -> thumbdrive, and it said the disk was full. Ubuntu reported 2MB free... on a drive that had two very small files on it, with more then 1.5GB free.

Any ideas what gives? The drive was formatted long ago on a windows machine... i seem to remember it being FAT32... i dont know shit about Linux filesystems, but i would think that at least a thumbdrive would be compatible.

Am i missing something?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

mine are both FAT, not FAT32.

Why would you format a thumbdrive?

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I dunno... when i first bought it it had all kindsa extreaneous shit on it that i didnt care for. So i figured i'd format and start new.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

did you just format it again?

what command did you use?

if you didn't format it, post the output of fdisk -l and mount when the usb drive is in place and mounted.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

No, no.. i havent formatted it in like, 3 years on an XP machine. I dont think its a formatting problem... the thumbdrive works and functions ok... Ubuntu just thinks its alot smaller than it really is. I shouldnt have even mentioned formatting in the first place.

6. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Some thumbdrives have two or more partitions, one before a utility partition (much like a restore partition on a Dell) -- maybe Ubuntu is only picking up the 2nd/3rd "utility" partition?

I'd backup the data on the drive and format/re-partition it all to a single drive, if it does have multiple partitions.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

regardless. post what i requested to see exactly what Ubuntu thinks the drive is partitioned to and the file systems on there.

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

ok, i'll try it out tonight when i'm home.

9. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Sorry for taking so long to actually mess with this some more... hopefully someone can still help me out.

Results of "fdisk -l"

Results of "mount"
    One thing i have noticed is that only 1 of my 2 thumbdrives has this problem. I have another 1GB thumbdrive and it reports a correct 700MB free.... even tho it reports only 1.9MB free on an empty 2GB drive.

10. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

okay, so the kernel sees then entire 2048 MB usb device. And it sees a single partition that spans all cylinders.

does df -h /media/TITANIUM shows 99% usage?

what does ls -laR on /media/TITANIUM show?

11. RiSk

RiSk New Member

or possibly try to let unbuntu mount it, then you unmount it, and try to mount it your self as Unbuntu is linux for retards they have an HAL that will fuck with your shit.

mkdir /tmp/test
    mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/test