MMA Weird Triangle

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Oct 12, 2007.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

alright so last night i was at bjj and i was wrestling a new guy, and because it was towards the end of the lesson i didnt ask what i was doing wrong, or what led to my 'mistake' if you can call it that.

Okay so your basic triangle looks like this

[​IMG]
    (your meant to pull the arm across your body i know. eg: so the blue gi is pulling the white gis right arm across his body)

However because i was tired i had my feet tied up like the blue gi guy, However i had the white guys left arm in my triangle, as opposed to the right arm as shown in this diagram.

I was squeezing his head down to get the submission however this guy didnt want to tap, so i wasnt sure if it was working or not, he was going purple in the face but he wasnt tapping.

Can it work if i have the other arm in, or do i have to reverse my foot hold?

only BJJers comment please, and say your belt colour or however long you have been doing it if your a white belt. Thank you guys! knew i could count on OT!

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

you can lock it the other way sometimes. its not usually as effective though. it's basically a whole separate kinda triangle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJseWlPqJU4

theres an example of one way to do it.. although marcelo garcia has a much better way where he gets completely on one hip, and kinda locks it sideways.

basically, dont worry about figuring out how to do this one right now. learn the traditional one. or use this kind of triangle as a temporary way to hold it until you can lock up the traditional one.

and im not going to put my belt or whatever because thats retarded

3. chechen

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

You would have been better off using the control you had to switch to your other hip and correct your legs and be in the correct triangle form. It sounds like you were trying to force something that wasn't there. You probably could have armbarred him pretty easy if you had his opposite arm isolated like a triangle.

5. chechen

yeah i usually use that opposite kinda triangle to go into different submissions or sweeps. i dont actually finish the triangle itself. or i use it to force them into the normal traditional triangle.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

It would have been very difficult to finish and you would probably never finish it on an opponent that wasn't tired. You should have focused on controlling his posture and getting locked into a traditional triangle.

Black Belt
    in taekwondo

7. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Should have tried to transition to a armbar, sounds like it would have been very easy to do if you had the left arm.

Black belt....... from jc penny

8. chechen

you guys are understating this techniques effectiveness, IF you do it right. it's a bit more advanced than what a white belt should be concentrating on. thats all

9. Gordio

Gordio New Member

In your position, you're better off doing a reverse armbar, among other subs. Or, you can go do the triangle correctly by setting it up and switch the direction of your "figure four"

10. kroneX

kroneX New Member

wow so many ideas i never thought of :big grin: thanks cage!

11. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

transistion to armbar or put the traditional triangle on (easier said than done)

-gonzaga out

12. snigg

snigg New Member

so you had your legs triangled like that picture, however you had the opposite arm in? that is not a triangle choke. you should have switched your legs to compensate for having his left arm rather than his right. ie, your left leg would be along the right side of his neck. to do so, i recommend controlling his head(to keep his posture broke, you should be doing this anyway) and quickly switch your legs to the correct position.