SRS Weird situation...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lateralus, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I'm 21, I've never really been a big drinker even now that I can do it legally. I don't ever feel like I have a need to drink or anything like that, I don't even consider myself a regular drinker to be honest. Whenever I do drink though, I have a problem of not stopping when I should, instead of just having a couple drinks, I'll want to continue to drink until I'm drunk. I honestly don't know why, and like I said I don't even drink often, maybe once a month if even that much. This has gotten me in some pretty embarrassing (sp?) situations a couple times, so what should I do?

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Well, as stated many times before in threads, the mark of an alcoholic is not the frequency of drinking, but the inability to stop once he/she starts. I'm entirely serious on this. You may have a problem with alcohol, but maybe you should just avoid it if you don't like the consequences of a drink. Maybe if you explain your situation a little more, we'd be able to give you a better analysis? None of us are really qualified to tell you what you need to do, but we can offer suggestions.

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Like Nukegoat said, this is actually the telltale sign of an alcoholic. If you truly feel you cannot stop once you've started, then chances are the path ahead of you is full of trouble. I suggest you go to a meeting, just so you can see what alcoholics are like. I also suggest you ask them about their first experiences with alcohol, because this is what relates to your situation. If you feel you are like them, you may be able to avoid a lot of trouble by just not drinking. If you feel you cannot completely abstain, go back to meetings and you will be shown how.

Also, it says in the big book of AA if you think you may be alcoholic, to try out some controlled drinking. Go to a bar and have like 1 or 2 beers, if you can't do this on multiple occasions, you could be alcoholic. Be careful you don't get into too much trouble, definitely bring some friends to watch over you. Hit up a meeting and tell us if you learned anything, good luck.