SRS Weird situation: anyone here actually romantically involved with someone from China?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by civicmon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Ok, sorta weird story but follow with me here...

I was down in Hong Kong and Guangdong, China last week... lady I know introduced me to her friend who really had a thing for me. She just flat out told me since I don't think she knew how else to approach it. This girl's from Zhuhai, mainlander tried and true. Thing is.. I really liked her, too. Now I'm back in the US and we're 13 hrs away.... Not a huge thing, this is 2008.

She speaks moderately good English so I can get points across to her via MSN or email but here's my main question:

I know next to nothing about Chinese "courtship" customs, ie, what is acceptable/not acceptable but also, I have no idea how to even proceed.

This is a weird question, no doubt... we're both on opposite sides of the planet but the last thing she said to me was basically"keep in touch.. I really like you" when she gave me her MSN info. Sure beats cell phone charges...

I'm as white as snow and don't know a lick of Chinese. I have a lot of Asian American friends but they're all ABCs.. not China-Chinese.. my other friends who are "Chinese" are really from Taiwan which is like comparing the US to South Africa due to their post-1949 history, so they're really no help.

Need advice! Anything? TIA :h5:

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

My girlfriend is from Italy. It's different there too. The key is learning! Get yourself a lonely planet guide for learning Chinese, learn the language. The book also teaches you about customs, sex, everything.

Use cheaptickets.com to buy flights. You can stay 3 months at a time, and she can do the same probably. Or you can just go back and forth based on your finances.

Me and my girl do it.

3. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Is that guy that was going to meet a girl in China off the internet still around?

4. Exiled

Exiled New Member

my girls from vietnam and it's a culture shock to be sure...

i'd think twice about asian culture, it's much different than european/white culture

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

I mean this nicely...but why bother?

You're way far apart...what are you expecting to come of this?

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

you're right... that's a big thing.

The world is small and it's a 15 hr flight though :h5:

Being serious... distance isn't a huge problem but trying to figure out such cues are... thanks for the replies.

7. kissingurami

kissingurami New Member

it would be hard to read cues, if she speaks moderately good english. she might not know how she is saying it, or how you would take it, or give u the wrong idea

i dunno what advice to give you.. i dunno if this is something that can work out taken the distance as well as the language