Weird problem with html files "bloating"

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HΞЯО™, Jan 20, 2005.

1. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

For some reason when I edit certain html pages in Frontpage (I believe this happens in Dreamweaver as well), the page size increases by a couple hundred KB sometimes MB! It keeps adding thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands) of blank lines in the code, increasing the file size.

:wtf: Any idea what could be causing this?

2. Trivialnight

Trivialnight Sometimes one pays most for the things that one ge

a ghost in the machine

3. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

outstanding reply. :ugh:

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Personally, I've never seen Dreamweaver add thousands of blank lines in my HTML. So, if Frontpage is doing this to you (wouldn't surprise me, Frontpage is crap, IMHO), I would consider switching to Dreamweaver.

Now, if you've seen this happen in Dreamweaver also, give more details about what you're trying to do. Whenever I use Dreamweaver, I rarely use any of the "let Dreamweaver make you a Javascript function to do rollover images" or whatever. I'll use the WYSIWYG interface sparsely, mainly to start off tables and stuff like that, and I'll spend a lot of time in the Code view. I'm not saying that Dreamweaver doesn't insert blank lines, I just haven't ever seen it happen. But, with WYSIWYG editors, you never know WHAT it will put in.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help. Guess a little more detail about what you're doing would narrow it down a little... :dunno:

5. percent

percent deluded

I have had frontpage for the last 4 + years. It used to suck and I perferred to handcode pages than to use it. Used it as my primary editor since FP 2000 came out. Fontpage 2003 > Dreamweaver tho (unless you are doing flash integration).

Never had a problem with a page size before :dunno:

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Frontpage is the world's largest pile of feces. :cool:

7. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

:dunno: All I did was edit a couple tables/cells here and there.. the next thing I know, the page size had increased like crazy. I checked the code out and it took several seconds to load the bottom of the page (like 233,000 lines). Never had this problem before with FrontPage for the past 3 years.

8. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

Yeah, what he said...

You know, someone else, like within the last week, posted on here with the exact same problem. I don't think that thread ever produced any viable solutions (except getting rid of Frontpage, which I know isn't a solution at all)... I guess I'm really no help. At this point, I'd need to see it with my own eyes to even come up with a possible suggestion. Sorry man...