Weird problem during LAN game last night...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, Mar 29, 2005.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK there were 6 computers total last night. We were using two 5 port hubs linked together.

After about 15-20 minutes of playing Farcry some weird would happen. The game would start to jerk just a little on certain computers. After about 30 minites it would get so bad that it was almost unplayable, whenever you moved around it would be smooth, freeze, then jerk all within a second. The only way to fix it was to disconnect from the game and then reconnect.

Of all six computers 4 of them was affected by this problem.

The two that wern't affected were...

AMD64 3000+ w/ Radeon 9600 Pro or XT, I cant remember.
    Pentium 4 3.0 PS w/ Radeon 9800 PRO

The rest that were affected were...

AMD64 3500+ W/ Geforce 6800GT
    AMD64 3000+ W/ Geforce 6600GT
    Pentium 3.0 W/ Geforce 6600GT
    Dell 1.8 Laptop

The 3000+ W/ 9600 was the server at first, but them we made my 3000+ w/ 6600GT the server but It still had the same problem.

We also had this problem with Ghost Recon but it was not nearly as bad for some reason.

Any ideas? :dunno:

2. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

If you were not running a dhcp server, did you statically configure the IP settings on each host? if not, the game will lag when the dhcp clients on the machines probe for an ip lease. By default, if windows cannot get one, it will assign a 'fake' address to itself beginning with 192.254 and the last two octets being random. Just a guess.. The randomness of the behavior and the fact that it happened with multiple apps could be explained by different hosts probing at different times. While this may or may not be your problem, I have seen it happen before at poorly admined lan parties :p.

Another possiblity could be that you're using NIC/switch/hub combinations that aren't really compatible...this tends to happen with cheap-ass ethernet hw. Sometimes, you can get lucky and fix it by updating drivers on the NICs and possibly firmware on the switch(es).

3. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Proof that ATI > nVidia

I'd imagine if there were a problem with packet loss, the game would tell you or if there is an IP sharing issue, Windows would tell you. DHCP probes take such a small amount of resources, it's not even noticeable.

Maybe the three people with the problem were on the same hub and that had a problem or there were file transfers going on in the background. The laptop lagging everyone could be a possibility as well.

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Perhaps :dunno:

Fucking laptop :mad:

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

The hubs may be the problem. Next time we are going to use a switch. perhaps that will fix it. :x:

6. R-Type

While the dhcp client service is polling, all network traffic stops on that interface. It has nothing to do with ip addressing conflicts.

Stop trolling with that ATI/Nvidia crap.. It will just derail the thread. If you want to debate that then start a new thread. While there is a chance that it is video driver related, the fact that it happens with multiple games would indicate another factor.

Agreed. These are distinct possibilities.

7. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

:werd: I go ATi because their EOL support rocks.

If I pay $400 for a card, it damn well better work with new drivers in two years.

The same can't be said for the GeForce2's and the GeForce4 Ti's.

8. R-Type

That is an attractive incentive, however, I usually just sell off my old hw to other people or use it in other machines. In the cases of really old cards like geforce 2s, I just give them away if I get any in from customer upgrades. They're not worth more than $20 new.

Also, nvidia's latest drivers support cards as far back as the TNT. Sure, you won't get the latest pixel shader 3.0 support, but that's because the hw can't do it. What you do gain is being able to use your older hw with the latest operating systems. Btw, this is also true with ATI's drivers IIRC, starting with the Radeon 7500.

9. R-Type

Good idea.. hubs are awful..sooo... 1995 :p. Though, honestly, with only a half dozen hosts, it shouldn't really matter either way as far as gaming's concerned. If the hubs were poorly made, well then my previous comment applies.

10. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

One hub was a old POS, the other was brand new.

11. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Ugh. My first 3D card was an AOpen TNT2 Pro, I still love it to death. If you run anything above the 41.09 drivers, it's unusable, and it has artifacts all over the place, even in old games like UT99 and FreeSpace. FreeSpace 1 and FS2 are absolutely unplayable, the H.U.D. looks like the GTVA used ECS boards on their ships.

Coincidentally, 41.09 was the last build to work with the Doom 3 Alpha. Something went up...

But, they are both great companies, and without one, the market would stagnate. Innovation drives the industry, and they both do a lot of that.

12. R-Type

hrmm..that might be your problem right there..try plugging them all into one or the other and see if the issue goes away..(easy to test since it costs you nothing).

13. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

hub is most likely the problem

get a switch :)

14. jiggilo

jiggilo Technics > *

the hubs are the problem. A way a hub works is it sends information to all the ports, because it really doesnt know where the information is going. you need a more sophistcaed device, purchase a router or a switch (i would recommend picking up a linksys router they are fairly cheap) This will solve all your problems.