Weird PC "blacking out" problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by airjordani3, Aug 7, 2006.

1. airjordani3

airjordani3 New Member

Hey guys, im in need of some help for this weird problem with my pc. Well, over the past couple of days my computer monitor has been blacking out and turning back on very often. Its hard to explain so ill give an example. So i will be listening to music and surfing the web. My computer will act like it froze, where i cant click on anything, but the music is still playing. then the monitor will black out for a quick couple of seconds and turn back on. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Also, my blue led light has been been off ever since this problem has started (i dont know if this is relevant to the problem or not). Thanks for any insight.

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Have you changed any hardware recently that could be causing any kind of conflict? Do you have another computer, or a friend that lives nearby that you could try your monitor on his computer, and his monitor on your computer to troubleshoot? If your monitor does the same on the other PC, then it's your monitor. If the other monitor has the same problem on your computer, it's possibly a driver, but more likely a hardware (video card) issue.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Regarding the blue LED light: It would help to know what the light is supposed to indicate.

Regarding the blinking monitor: Download the newest video card drivers from the company that made the video card's chipset (either ATI or nVidia, almost certainly) and install them. Once they're installed, open the video card settings program and look for some sort of temperature gauge. Keep an eye on it; if it goes above 70 degrees Celsius then your card is overheating. Even if it's not overheating, simply installing the newest drivers may help.

If the card isn't overheating and the newest drivers don't help, come back for more advice.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Been smoking any weed around the monitor?

That thing might just have a low tolerance for that sort of thing.

5. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

do you pour a fifth of jager in it?