Weird issue with CPU cooler

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redfred18t, Feb 2, 2008.

1. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Alright heres the background story. I've built my first computer from the ground up (thank god everything works) and it runs perfect with the exception of one issue... the cpu fan.

I bought a Zalman 9500 LED cooler. The computer specs are Core 2 Duo e6750 (2.66ghz) processor, gigabyte p35-ds3l motherboard, and said cpu cooler.

Anyways heres the issue. When I go into BIOS, the maximum fan speed says 1000-1100 RPM. Since the fan is manually adjustable, I can go down to 800 RPM. But, theres a problem with that. On the site I bought it from (newegg), it says "silent mode 1300rpm" and "max rpm 2600 rpm".

I'm definitely not seeing those rpm's unless my mobo is retarded.

When I boot Vista, the LED on the cpu cooler does not turn on, and if I go to the minimum rpm setting, it actually turns the cpu fan OFF. Now that is definitely not "normal"

Anyways, any help I could get I would greatly appreciate. I'm a straight up noob when it comes to diagnosing this stuff.

2. FEELSGOODMEN

FEELSGOODMEN New Member

I'm not seeing those RPM's in your av

3. Casey

Casey New Member

:ugh2:

4. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

the zalman fan automatically runs slower because it doesn't need to run fast. Also cpu fans change speed based off tempature. I don't think I have ever run it over 1500 and my processor doesn't get over 35 deg celsius.

Don't worry about the rpms. Put it in full mode and look at the temp every once in a while and make sure it isn't running hot, that's when you have to worry about it.

5. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Well I went through BIOS and it said "CPU smart fan" or something like that enabled. I disabled it, restarted, and now it works perfect. Also, before disabling the smart fan, to increase fan speed, you have to turn it counter clockwise. The correct way is to turn it clockwise. After disabling it, it works the right way, and I'm seeing full rpm.

All I need is a program to monitor CPU speed.. what do you guys recommend? I've used MBM (motherboard monitor) for my old desktop, but I dont really know whats good/

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

for CPU Smart Fan to work, you need a cooler with a 4-pin connector. That Zalman 9500 only has 3-pin.

for monitoring, benchmarks, and other tools,... browse this site: http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html
    just look for what you need that works with vista.

7. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

my 9500 came with a 4 pin. I think it's different on the different versions of the 9500. I'd say leave smart fan on. There is no reason to turn it off unless you are having temperature problems, and if you are then you need to redo your seat for the thermal paste.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Not quite. All you really need to do is monitor temps.

Run coretemp, and set the manual fan adjustor to where the temps stay at
    a safe range.

Forget about what rpm the motherboard is telling you.

edit* about the fan speed I mean

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  9. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

thanks for the help guys

and thanks to that link doomsday, i downloaded some program (forgot what it was already) and it runs pretty good. kind of confusing but I have to play with the settings a little bit more (gives me 2 temps along with 2 "core" temps (dual core cpu))

10. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

just curious..

in bios, my temp will read about 27* C for CPU temperature

but, using the program called "speedfan," I'm getting a temperature of 22* for "temp 2" (it goes up when I start using programs) , then it says "Core 1" and "Core 2" and they both have seperate numbers (usually 13* for core 1, core is about 15* at idle)

Is this normal? I know its a dual core so do I just add up the 2 core temps to get the correct number? Considering I'm a newb when it comes to this, that is my only guess as to why the two core temps add up to the one I get in BIOS. Maybe the "temp 2" is a temp for something else on the mobo :dunno:

Thanks in advance guys :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

11. Doc Brown

Speedfan isn't the best thing going for cpu temps.

Download coretemp, and see what you get for your temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

12. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

thanks doc

this is definitely much more accurate. for core1 and core 2, its reading about 27-28* C which is on par with the reading in bios

13. Doc Brown

Speedfan is good for hard drive temps and of course fan speed.

But the only thing more accurate than coretemp for an Intel cpu, is an actual Intel
    motherboard running the Intel desktop utility.

14. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

thanks again doc

I got up to 47* C max at like continuous 100% load tonight.. is that "good" for a core 2 duo e6750? (2.66ghz)

not sure if its running too hot or what.