Weird HDD problem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SickOfItAll, Mar 18, 2004.

1. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Built myself a new computer awhile back - nothing fancy. One thing I neglected to do, however, was back up a lot of things I'd like (nothing immediately important, but still). So, rather than going back and doing it, the obvious solution is to pilfer the HDDs from the old PC (which is now gathering dust) and use them in the new box, as extra storage.

Therein lies the problem.

When I try to load the old HDDs, I always get the same error:

"The file c:\windows\system\hal32.dll is missing or corrupted. Please reinstall this file" (or something along those lines).

Now, I've set it in the BIOS to give boot priority to the main HDD. I've also set it to not attempt to boot off anything else - CDROM, nothing. But, I still get that error.

System specs:

Abit IC7-G
    P4 3.0 ghz
    1gb Kingston DDR333 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    Lite-ON DVD & CD-RW drives

and the HDDs are:

WD 1200JB for the new main one that I'm using
    2 IBM 120GXPs for the old ones I'm trying to load

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

I'm assuming that your original setup is:

WD HD as primary master
    DVD as secondary something

If you have all of HDs jumpered to cable select, it's possible that the WD is shifting to the secondary if you put another HD on the primary chain. Even if you tell the BIOS to boot from the WD, the boot.ini on that partion will probably look like this:

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WIN..

and boot from the new master (the old IBM drive on the master chain).

I would suggest that you try to only install one IBM drive at a time on the free secondary slot and leave the WD drive as the only primary IDE device.

If this still fails, you can always put the old drives on another computer that accepts them, then transfer files over the network.