Weird Harddrive Problem....help ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Relay, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Relay

Relay New Member

I have 2 small usb harddrives. They both have worked fine with my Powerbook g4 and my g5 tower until last night.

One of the drives now only works on the G5 tower and will not Mount on the powerbook. the g5 tower is running 10.4.7 and the powerbook is 10.3.9 if that makes a difference at all.

It is weird, they both still work on the g5 and I even tried re formatting the problematic one and it still will not mount on the powerbook. It does recieve power and the light goes on, but it will not mount. I have tried the other USB port on the powerbook and it same problem, no mount. The other drive still works on the powerbook just fine so I dont know whats going on here.

any ideas ?

2. Pr0Xima

Pr0Xima SPY ZAPPIN MAH SENTRY!

What computer did you format the drive on? Does the hdd show in Disk utility)?? It would show on the left.

Ive seen some problems where drives formated on 4.7 dont work right on 3.9. IF it shows up in the disk utility is the mount button clickable? If so will it mount?

Try reloading your os(archive install would probably be fine)?? its not the hardware so. Its either the format or your computer being tricky.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Since they both used to work, and now the one doesn't, this may be a bit of a stretch, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
    I have two small external drives (both 2.5") in two different enclosures. One works on my PBG4, the other does not always work. It actually has to do with how much power the USB ports are providing. On the one drive, the USB ports are not providing enough power for it to completely spin up. If I put my ear to the drive, I can here it trying to spin up, but never really happens. On my iMac, that drive works great though. On the drive that doesn't work on the PBG4, it has a separate USB connector that I can plug into a second USB port for more power if the first connector doesn't get enough power.