Weird filanaming issue..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Dec 22, 2005.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I have an external HD that I keep my iTunes library on so I can use it on my XP machine or Powerbook. Right now my XP machine is messed up so I've been managing my iPod with my Powerbook.

I don't let iTunes manage any files-- it's all done by me.

I was ripping CDs with my PC and copying them to the external HD, then adding them to the iTunes library on the Powerbook. Just so I don't get confused, I not added music in a seperate folder until I add it to my iTunes library-- then I move it to the folder that has everything allready in the Library.

When I drag one folder to the folder with the already added library (the folder that contains everything already in iTunes), it shortens the folder name to ABCD~. When I try to rename the file, it says that name already exists-- it doesn't. Again, this is all happening in the finder with the directory structure and naming, NOT in iTunes.

After pulling my hair out wondering why this happens I tried something. Instead of just copying one folder to the library folder, I copied two or more. Copying two or more folders keeps the existing filenames. Nothing gets changed and nothing says the name is in use.

Any logical explaination or did I find a bug?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

im lost...do you copy your files to the library and manage it that way? I've turned off the feature in iTunes where it actually copies your original file and places it inside the library folder. That way, I don't have duplicates laying around and it just references the original. maybe you should just try that and let everything reference those files on the external.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I turned that off also.

I've edited the original post to sound better.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

im still lost. have you checked the discussion forums on apple.com?

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

can't understand your post dude :hs:

all I can say is that I think the 4-letter names is a convention of the iPod, I know when I search the hidden folders on my iPod, the songs are all named with 4-letter filenames for some reason, probably part of their DRM or something :hs:

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

I've explained it the best I can. Try reading it slowly. :dunno: