SRS Weird fear of emails

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lazy D., Jul 24, 2007.

1. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

Sometimes I receive an email I don't want to read. The fear of it containing something negative outweighs the curiousity and I just delete it. (For example, I just left the company and got an email from a former boss. I didn't have the balls to read it because most likely she was pissed at me.) It's strange because I will never meet the person again nor do I care about that person yet it still fills my head with fear when I open it.

am i alone with this one ?

2. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Only at work?

My last job was so bad that I would literally have a mini-anxiety attack every time I got an email. We would work mandatory (unpaid) weekends and insane overtime (also unpaid). The work was unending and, since it was systems development, there was never a clear end in sight. So not only did I not know how long I would have to be at the office every day, but you never knew exactly how to fix a problem, either. The point was, emails were almost always bad news. Imagine it being 4:45pm on a Friday and you get an email saying some new problem was just discovered and you can't go home until you fix it (which could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 hours), or that you have to work a mandatory weekend. After a while time that leads to incredible anxiety.

Anyway, it was only at work. I always loved getting emails from friends on personal accounts or whatever.

3. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

not AT work, but work related emails.

4. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

I used to do the same thing for school. My e-mail used to scare the hell out of me and I'd never even log in to read it, much less open certain mail.

The way I beat it was to absolutely force myself to read my mail, and eventually you realize that tackling things head on is much better than letting it go. What's the worst that could happen by reading your e-mail?

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Um...that person from work might have been concerned about you and what actually happened that caused you to leave. They might have also been willing to work with you to resolve the issues you had. Maybe not but come on....there's absolutely no reason NOT to read that email.

And no....I'm never afraid to read emails and I'm only afraid of opening real mail if I get behind on my bills.

6. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

i went through this for a while. then i decided i would get drunk and just read them all in a row and tackle news of things in my life i'd been scared of. once you're all caught up and have come to terms with your life as it really is, emails are just emails.

7. spectre

spectre New Member

yup, this is the exact same thing i feel, but essentially it's my well-developed avoidance system kicking in, even though i have to face it eventually, i delay - kinda stupid in fact