Weird DHCP Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, May 16, 2009.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well here's weird one. So our server which runs DHCP started acting up, to the point that I decided I needed it to be shipped back to us. So I started the DHCP service on the firewall with a different address space and stopped the DHCP service. To make things easier on the users, I told them to reboot. It does not pick up an address, it uses the old one. It wasn't until they released and renewed that the new DHCP addresses started to be used.

Why wouldn't a reboot pick up a new address if the old DHCP service was no longer responsive?

2. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I don't think rebooting windows releases/renews the ip does it?

3. chips

chips ...

thats odd.. what I try to do in a SBS is change DHCP then unplug the switches for 10 secs and plug em back in.
    its ghetto but allways has worked

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

not totally releated, but food for thought

even when you do a release renew, windows will automatically try the last working ip address. i had this same trouble with my server. i wanted it to grab 101.10.10.5 from the dhcp server, but instead i set aside it as a static in the address reservation. the server would always grab something else because i had booted and connected it up before the address reservation was in effect. i just set it as a static in the nic properties. a server should be set as static for the most part anyways

5. 5Gen_Prelude

That's true - it will ask for its old IP address from the original DHCP server. However, in this case the IP address was not available, and neither was the DHCP server. The lease was still valid, but I would have thought windows would renew that lease regardless on a bootup.

6. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

I don't necessarily agree with that. We use DHCP reservations to manage server IPs. I like that much better because its a self-documenting procedure that's centrally manageable.

7. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

do i not understand your correct?

you DON'T statically assign servers on your network?

8. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

They're static, but they're handed out via DHCP. We use AD DHCP, so we just go into the reservations section for a scope and put in the MAC address and an IP.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

And when the DHCP server goes down, your servers don't work. It's okay if you have more than one DHCP server onsite, but not so much if you don't.