SRS Weird childhood experience

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fachh, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Fachh

Fachh New Member

Was wondering if u guys have ever had this

I remember when I was 13 or so. After playing unreal tournament for like 2 hours I went to lie down on the sofa. My heart started beating faster and faster and it felt like everything was speeding up. My thoughts and my surroundings seemed way different and I remember hearing the sound of unreal tournament guns playing in my head very loudly

i started freaking out

this lasted like 5-10mins

wtf does this mean? something similar to this happened when i was 8 or so as well...

should I go see somebody? were these psychotic episodes?

2. happyplague

happyplague New Member

Were your parents feeding you drugs?

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Your body continued on playing the game, its not unusual. Your body is made for survival, and because Unreal Tournament represents a 'virtual' survival environment, it triggered your adrenaline glands,making your heart beat faster, so these chemicals in combination with your brain activity and because your brain was still processing the data input from the game, it gave a speeded up version of unreal tournament and strange sensation in the mind.

I've heard more about it (since i was an avid gamer in the past), my friend talk about how he 'real time life' heard the music of "mario bros 3' while he was lying down in his bed. I myself also experienced the numbers of Transport tycoon keep on passing by in my mind when done, and closing my eyes, i just see the game again. Its just because you play so long the stuff starts burning into your eyes and mind.

Even in the early Nintendo's 8 bit manual games, it always contained a warning, something in the context to never play longer then 1 hour. And that the stuff could trigger epileptic attacks which you should be carefull off.

I think those warnings were rather revolutionary for the time, they might look strict but they are there to make stuff like that not happen and try to prevent over fatigue.

If its not structural, i wouldn't be too worried, if it happens more or quite often you might want to visit a neurologist to see if its not a form of epilepsia.

yeah here i found the famous Nintendo warning

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It was a panic attack. You probably got yourself too worked up playing the game.

EDIT: Alternately, you were lucid-dreaming about the game.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

some poeople have even had seizures from video games

3d glasses have caused some people the same issues lately as well

i guess there is only so much the brain can process before it does some strange things,

but i think darketernal's post sums it up

6. Murq

Murq New Member

it means it's time to go outside

7. PrickleyPete

PrickleyPete New Member

Please pick up a book.

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

sounds like a partial dream state.

I remember when I was studying for a math final, we were studying trig formulas....I fell asleep but still had the words of the formulas running through my head.

9. RotiEatter

RotiEatter New Member

10. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Ignoring the gaming (which I didn't do). I used to experience periods of everything speeding up and slowing down.

The external world would either speed up and go double time. People sounded faster, time felt like it went quicker, things moved quicker, all while I stayed normal speed. Then the opposite would happen. Everything external would go slower.

It happened 5-10 times that I can vividly remember and it freaked me out. I was about 11 I think? Lasted a good 20minutes.