Weird Boot problems with eMachine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I am trying to repair my grandfather's computer. Its am eMachine T5010.

It seems to be having serious issues booting past its bios. I've reformatted twice, and the problems continue. I am wondering how possible/plausible it would be for the bios to have corrupted itself?

Personally, i havent come across a bios doing shit like this... but who knows.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How did you reformat if it won't get past the BIOS screen? Can you be more specific? If its just a long delay, it could be something like a flakey optical drive. Have you tried resetting the CMOS to factory defaults? The easiest troubleshooting is to remove all PCI cards and disk drives except for the hard drive.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is there any particular reason you didn't call the tech support that your grandfather paid for when he bought the eMachine?

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Exactly how long do you think tech support lasts? Its over one and a half years old.... any support they might have offered has long since past. We're talking about some half-assed company that doesnt even provide drivers on their website for this computer.

I managed to reformat it by getting lucky... i guess... it just booted up one time.I know that sounds fucking stupid.. .but its being very weird. And no, it wasnt just taking a long time... it just sat dead in the water. I'm sorry for being vague.... i'm finding it seems hard to describe what its doing... since it isnt doing much of anything at all.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Do that, and also reset the bios to factory defaults, either in the bios or by unplugging the system and pulling the bios battery (looks like a quarter) out and give it about 10 minutes.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, don't just pull the BIOS battery, replace it.